Anyone put a Spindle on yet?

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

SPH01

Anyone put a Spindle on yet?

Post by SPH01 »

I have see mulitble post with major upgrades/mods to the Shark but none mentioning a spindle.
I've been thru two of the Bosch 1617's and between noise and maintainence I'm starting to lean towards a spindle.
I"ve got some VFD's so my only real cost is the spindle and some water cooling parts.
Anyone already stepped up that can pipe in?
Thanks Steve

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: Anyone put a Spindle on yet?

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Steve, I haven't but have been looking. Would like to know your experience with the 1617 - I just put on my first set of replacement brushes. You mention noise and maintenance - are you experiencing bearing failures or things other than brushes? How many hours (about) have you found with this router?

rungemach

Post by rungemach »

I had a chinese spindle 1.5KW water cooler, mounted on my modified shark for testing last year.
Currently I am mostly using the Bosch 1618 with good results as it is air cooled, runs off of 120volts, and does not need the water lines.
A permanent spindle is in the works, but not complete yet as the water lines need to be managed better than my testing version. (They need to be in their own cable chain.)

I prefer the Bosch to the Porter Cable, and prefer the spindle to the Bosch. It is nice not to have brushes to worry about, but the spindle brings issue of water cooling and the weight of the unit.

I would not consider using the spindle with the factory router mount. IMHO the spindle is too heavy and needs to be supported along its length. Also, don't even think about it on a non HD machine. Having two clamping points along the router has made a difference in the rigidity and cut quality for me, (on Bosch and PC as well), but I had to make my own mounting back plate and clamp mounts in aluminum.

The quality of the spindles coming from China is also hit and miss, so finding one with good bearings and low runout will be worth the effort.

The added weight on the gantry will bring inertial issues and the new controllers do not allow you to adjust for that, (I believe).
If your acceleration rate is too high you can lose steps, etc.

I'd like to try an air cooled spindle before committing to the water cooled unit on a long term basis. At some point an expensive spindle may be a mismatch to the rest of the machine.

Summary: It could be a worthwhile project for you , but not super easy to do.

Hope this info helps.
Bob

SPH01

Post by SPH01 »

Joe, I have the 16176 (variable speed router only), I have a spare as the bearings have not held up as well as I had hoped. Came back to check on a 6hr cut and the router was not up to full speed and sounded like @$@#. After it cooled it ran well but I changed it out anyway and when I replaced the bearings they were dry and I mean real dry. I'm not sure on the weight of the Bosch but I think it's a lot closer than you think weight wise.
I"m looking at the UGRA 2.2kw at 12lbs. Andy has a great web site and will talk with you about spindles all day. He has a great video showing the noise of air vs water cooled spindles and tech article about the water cooler.
As far as mounting Google 80mm spindle mount and there are plenty of samples that look to fit the bill.
Now if work would only leave me alone.
Steve

sk8nmike

Post by sk8nmike »

Steve,

What's the link to Andy's website?

MIke

SPH01

Post by SPH01 »

http://ugracnc.com
Let me know what you think.
Steve

sk8nmike

Post by sk8nmike »

Thanks for the link Steve.

I reviewed the site and the tech notes, a water cooled Spindle might be in the plans for an upgrade. Got to decide between longer table or the spindle. I liked the lower noise level, the Bosh router screams when it's running. And the longer run time would be nice too, many of my carvings move into the 20 and 30 hour range.

Mike

SPH01

Post by SPH01 »

Here is a pretty good price on a VFD 1ph in 3ph out.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HIGH-QUALITY-3H ... 46004efa1c
Most of my shop is used 3ph equipment with either phase-matic's or VFD's. You can pick up great deals on 3ph commercial equipment cheap.
Steve

wolffie

Post by wolffie »

Just a question:

What do you actually do with a spindle apart from making pens and balustrade type things and, perhaps, walking sticks?

I can't find any information about it anywhere.

Cheers
Wolffie
I am never going to die, I live in Paradise already

sk8nmike

Post by sk8nmike »

This type of spindle is a motor. It's designed for long running times and smoother operation than a router.