Controler stopped working

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

tonybell9699

Controler stopped working

Post by tonybell9699 »

Hi!

I have had my Shark 60th ann for 6 months now, have been using the heck out of it without any issues (besides my occasional goofs! :lol: ). My controller stopped working (no power) today. I changed the fuse, checked the switch, ensured I did not hit the stop button... The customer support is very slow responding to my help request so I thought while I wait I would ask here!

Tony

4DThinker

Re: Controler stopped working

Post by 4DThinker »

There is also another fuse inside the box if I remember right. . You might check that. Be sure to have it unplugged when opening up the box.

tonybell9699

Post by tonybell9699 »

Thanks, i checked the internal fuse. there is also a internal red and green light (not on the three external displays).

Frustrating part is trying to call and getting the "no one here to help" msg ALL DAY! Email is responded to within 4 hours though... frustrating... I just hope this does not take long, I run a small business and am now having to turn away work... I am sure this will take forever to get fixed...

Tony

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

They are in the office till 4:30
tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

NewAgent45

Post by NewAgent45 »

You probably already check this! There is a fuse block built into where the computer type power cord plugs into the controller chassis. The fuse block also should have a spare fuse in it. Be sure to order some spares to keep on hand.

I only had this fuse blow on my machine onetime. It blow during an unexpected incident where it jammed the carriage with a large size bit that did not break. Not a good thing! The good news is the fuse protected the machine from serious damage. Be sure to us the right size fuse. I believe the correct fuse size is 10 amps for HD machines in the US.

There are some other posts on this forum that discuss an internal 4.5 amp fuse. It states that if this fuse is blown you may have a problem with the controller board. It also states if the external fuse is blow there could be an issue with the power supply.

You are doing the right thing by contacting NWA Tech. support.

One more thing where I live there are lots of issues with power and it is also in the lightening belt. I'm not using a UPS on my controller as it would require one to handle the 2.25 HP router. However, I use power strips with surge protection on all the equipment in my shop. I'm using the ones with 90 joules of surge protection.

Hope this helps!

.... Rod

tonybell9699

Post by tonybell9699 »

I got in touch with a person at customer support, very nice guy.

1. Checked external fuse (good)
2. Checked internal fuse (good)
3. Checked for a red light on circuit board (no light means bad)
4. Checked for green light on power supply (no light means bad)
5. Checked the cable going from the three LED lights to the circuit board (sometimes the LED shorts which messes with circuit board, unplugging LED's can fix issue)

So I have to send the controller back. FEDEX the thing back to them, talked with a VERY nice lady who will contact me when it is fixed so I can pay to have FEDEX back.

Overall good experience. Will keep you informed when it returns. Going to buy a new power strip for my machine just to make sure it was not the cause of the initial failure.

My suggestion to the company is to send a email with all the possible troubleshooting steps initially (or post online). I could have had this in the mail faster. Overall I will only be down for a week, so I should be more patient :)

Tony

Rando

Post by Rando »

Glad you got response from support. Sounds like you had a bad power supply.

For the future, in addition to checking the LEDs, you can also get a more useful idea of power-related problems using a voltmeter to verify that power is actually reaching the components. Be freakin' careful, mind what you're testing, and don't electrocute yourself. I tend to use insulated alligator-style clips, and only turn on the power AFTER they're in place and I'm not part of the circuit.

You just need to work your way in. For each step, if you get the expected result, move to the next step. If you don't get the expected result, you have just found the broken part.

1) Check that 120VAC is on the end of the cord you're plugging into the box. Yes? Step 2. No? Bad cord or outlet.
2) Check that 120VAC appears on the wires inside the box. Bad? Fuse
UNPLUG the box
3) Turn on the power switch. You unplugged the box, right?!?!?!? Measure the resistance of the switch. It should be quite close to zero, but is often a few 10ths of an ohm. No? Bad switch.
PLUG it back in, and turn on the power switch.
3) Check that 120VAC is showing up at the power supply and the solid-state relay? No? Wiring maybe loose or broken.
4) Check that the right DC voltage (20? 24VDC? I forget which one this one has) is coming OUT of the power supply? No? Bad power supply
5) Check that the right DC voltage is showing up at the inputs terminals of the controller board. No? Loose wiring or short in the board.

If you're not getting DC from the power supply, you can determine if it's the PS or the circuit board by....
UNPLUG the box
1) Unscrew the red DC wire at the controller board and pull it out so it's not contacting anything (except your probe clip)
PLUG it back in, and turn on the power switch
2) Check that 24VDC is showing up at the output of the power supply. Yes? Then there's a short on the controller board and it's overloading the power supply. No? Bad power supply

That short theoretically could be on the board or in the connectors/motors. Resolving that one requires more advanced troubleshooting and being able to find the right pins to check, so I'd say send it in if you're uncomfortable proceeding further.

You get the idea. Be cautious and careful and never hold the system with both hands when it's open and energized. But seeing how the system is or isn't working when it's actually plugged in often gives more useful information than just checking the fuses and LEDs

Also, the power supply in the unit I have looks to be just a normal switching power supply like this line:

http://www.amazon.com/VELLEMAN-PSIN1502 ... supply+24V

Make sure you get the exactly same output voltage, and at least as much output current....and that it will fit in the box ;-). If you're out of warranty or whatever reason, replacing the power supply is often much easier...just be very careful to verify you're connecting the wires in the CORRECT positions, not necessarily the same positions. Don't assume the power supply connections are the same.

Best,

Thom
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

tonybell9699

Post by tonybell9699 »

Well this keeps getting fun :)

So, I have a new control board, a power supply and now my machine still stops but more erratic.

When I restart the control panel it will reset and I can cut again. Some times the machine runs for the entire job, sometimes it stops after a few minutes. I am beginning to think I may have a problem with the software?

The lights on the front:

Blue solid
Yellow blinking
Red on

and of course this happens on a weekend when customer support is off lol..

McBuster

Post by McBuster »

I scanned the thread and did not see this tip.

If, the cord from your router, you ran it alongside the X,Y cords, do not do that.

Run the 120v ac power cord as far away as possible from the servo cords. Pending the Tides and Phase of the Moon, that can produce some very erratic results.
Jon ...
Woodbury Mn

tonybell9699

Post by tonybell9699 »

I will give that a shot!

Thanks for the tip!

Tony