How to measure if the router is square to the table

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Dbchamber

How to measure if the router is square to the table

Post by Dbchamber »

Hello,

When I surface my spoilboard, I end up with a series of small waves. It appears as if my router is not square to the table. Two questions - first - what is the best method to measure to see how much out of square it is?

Second - how do I then shim the unit top make the head square?

I bought my machine from a distributor and it was aleady assembled and there are no instruction manuals. I use a good square to deal with my table saw and router table but the shark is much tall and, due to the router mount, I cannot put the square against the router. I assume that I have to0 use a 1-2-3 block and some feeler gauges between the square and the router? Is there an easier way?

Thanks for the help.
Dave C

NewAgent45

Re: How to measure if the router is square to the table

Post by NewAgent45 »

Db,

I find the best way to get your spindle perpendicular and co-planer to the table is to surface plain your spoilboard or a large piece of material like MDF using a large surface planning bit (1 1/4 or 1 1/2 Dia.). From observing the planned surface you will observe striping of the cuts if the spindle is not perpendicular to the table. In my case the spindle was leaning forward on the y axis. You do not need to complete a complete pass of surface planning to observe the stripping. I added plastic shim stock under the router clamp to correct the problem. As I recall I ended up with 0.025 inch of shim stock.

You can get a plastic shim stock assortment from most industrial suppliers like McMaster-Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/#shim-stock/=105f8iv

Here is a like for additional details on my spoil board. http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4069 I use recessed nylon bolts to mount the spoil board to the table so I can surface plain the entire surface using and oversized pocket toolpath. You would not have to do this if you don't want to plane the entire surface.

I hope this helps!

.... Rod

Dbchamber

Post by Dbchamber »

Thanks for the help and I like your spoilboard.

Mine appears to be tipped so that the front of the bit (further from the gantry) is lower. I thought that I might take one of my big bits and do a pocket with the bit moving in the y-direction so that the lower part of the bit does the final smoothing. Then if I make a single pass across the X axis, I could then use a caliper to measure the difference in depth between the two sides of the groove. With a 1.5 or 2" bit, I should be able to measure a difference and at least get closer.

I will try then as soon as I get a replacement for my broken router clamp.

Dave Chamberlain

NewAgent45

Post by NewAgent45 »

If your replacing your router clamp I recommend you contact Sam at Dixie billet for his billet Aluminum clamp. I,'m posting this from my phone and don't have the details. Please search this forum for many posts including Dixie Billet's contact info. You may also search the net.

Hope this is helpful.

. Rod

TomTurner

Post by TomTurner »

Db,

A good first step is to use a large square (12 by 18 inch) and verify that the Z-axis carriage assembly is orthogonal to the bed. On my shark I had about a 3 degree error on this. The result was that from top to bottom of the Z-axis carriage I had over an eighth of an inch error (in fact almost a quarter inch) Shimming the router mount alone didn't work for me since I use my Shark for a lot of Mortise and Tenon joints on furniture and the error resulted in furniture being out of square when I cut deep mortises. I had to put shims on the outboard ends do the X-axis carriage assembly at the bottom. Once I had it close then I added shims to take out the final errors ( in both directions ) at the router mount.

I determined the error by creating two pockets ( one in X and one in Y direction) and adjusting the shims until I had a smooth surface.

RacerChris

Post by RacerChris »

Hi all. Just learning about tramming and watch the video below that showed me how to measure it without any expense. Easy peasy :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h5srzEBla4