Porter Cable 8902 Type 3 Speed

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

lukaspatten

Porter Cable 8902 Type 3 Speed

Post by lukaspatten »

Anyone else have to replace an 8902 router lately? At first I thought I bought a bad router as the variable speed went randomly up and down as the machine was running, so I took it off and put an older one on that needed service (bearings) and it worked fine. So I bought another one and put it on, same exact problem. When I talked to Porter Cable service center they said that it is most likely a Type 3 problem (right next to SN). Sounds like all the new routers, even rebuilds will get the new electronics. I'm wondering if there is a work around as it seems like it's here to stay. Would not be good if all 8902 routers become obsolete as I'm sure there are a few other shops that depend on them.

The machine I have it on is an HD4 from last year with pendant control. I'm going to put it on one of my older machines that I control from the control panel and see if there is a difference, just a shot in the dark...

gdon_2003

Re: Porter Cable 8902 Type 3 Speed

Post by gdon_2003 »

I just bought a used Shark Pro Plus HD and it had a beat up Bosch 1617 EVS. I have several PC 890 routers already in the shop and thought about buying a new 890. In the end I bought a new Bosch 1617EVS because i will use the old Bosch as a through down router in the shop. I will use the new router base on the old router. The machine did not come with the original base.

It is interesting that the service center seems to know about this speed issue. Black and Decker bought PC a few years ago and i have noticed that many of the PC tools have become a consumer brand. 20 years ago PC was the pro standard. it is sad to see good things going to hades.
Guy Donham

bill z

Post by bill z »

Recently, the bearings in my Bosch router were going out. Made a loud noise most of the time (louder than normal). I thought of buying a PC brand but when I looked into the price of new bearings ($13.00 & $10. total $23.00) I bought the bearings and all is fine.

I'm glad to know there are issues with the type 3 routers. I won't go there.

Thanks for this post.

lukaspatten

Post by lukaspatten »

gdon_2003 wrote:I just bought a used Shark Pro Plus HD and it had a beat up Bosch 1617 EVS. I have several PC 890 routers already in the shop and thought about buying a new 890. In the end I bought a new Bosch 1617EVS because i will use the old Bosch as a through down router in the shop. I will use the new router base on the old router. The machine did not come with the original base.

It is interesting that the service center seems to know about this speed issue. Black and Decker bought PC a few years ago and i have noticed that many of the PC tools have become a consumer brand. 20 years ago PC was the pro standard. it is sad to see good things going to hades.
It sounds like the stance of Next Wave Right now is that they are looking into it and basically said I just needed to buy another brand of router. The conversation was that it can't be the control box as there is no difference in the older models which I have two of and the newer pendant style I bought last year. That being said I took the PC type 3 router that I just bought and put it on the older machine and works fine. So I think both companies have a part.

But I doubt anything will change as it really means nothing when a couple people have issues to a large corporation.