Tightening Nuts in Gantry

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

gdon_2003

Tightening Nuts in Gantry

Post by gdon_2003 »

I have a Shark Pro Plus HD CNC Router:

I have searched the forum for threads about how to tighten the nuts on the frame of the Gantry. I installed the back plate gantry upgrade aluminum plate and cannot get the nuts in the oval slots to tighten. I used a small screw driver to hold the nut still but it slips.

Sorry if this has been answered but I cannot find it by searching.

Is there a special tool because a small wrench will not fit in the cavity that the nut sits in.

I also got a billet aluminum router plate and the Z axis has the same bolt setup and will require tightening after I clean up the mount.

Thanks
Guy Donham

Bob

Re: Tightening Nuts in Gantry

Post by Bob »

Needle nose pliers fit just right.
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

gdon_2003

Post by gdon_2003 »

Thanks I will try that. Why I did not think of that. After lunch today i will try that. I am itching to get going after the upgrade. I also bought the aluminum router plate from Dixie Billet and want to get that installed as well. I was going to grand an ignition wrench down but was afraid it would bend if I got the lips too thin.
Guy Donham

bill z

Post by bill z »

The needle nose pliers didn't work well for me. Sort of the wrong angle. So I took a scrap piece of 1/8" steel and cut a slot to fit the nut and the sides to just fit into the hole in the plastic where the nut lives. It fits snug, not tight and allows me to really tighten down on the nut (not so tight to strip the threads). See picture.

The hole is so I can hang it up so it doesn't get lost. It isn't used that much but there are times it is very handy.
Attachments
Shark wrench
Shark wrench

gdon_2003

Post by gdon_2003 »

Thanks for your reply. I had thought of making a custom wrench out of an existing wrench but the needle nose pliers worked. People always come up with an answer when confronted with a problem.

I bought my machine used and have visited the NWA site quite a few times. I find their amount information quite lacking. I bought the gantry upgrade and there were absolutely no instructions. The upgrade is simply unbolting the old plastic back plate and screwing the new one on but you would think they would have something. You cant find any instructions for doing anything.
Guy Donham

Bob

Post by Bob »

Guy,
Thanks for the update. It's always nice to see what worked.
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)