correct starting point?

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Shanes.Woodworking

correct starting point?

Post by Shanes.Woodworking »

I've been trying to find an answer, but haven't found one yet.

when adjusting the x,y axis, how should the bit be lined up? ( I've included a pic)

I always think I have it right, but it cuts slightly off.
Attachments
IMG_20190804_152023.jpg

TAW

Re: correct starting point?

Post by TAW »

I use the one on right.
When you say you are always just a little off.....are you changing bits and are off a little or the carve is not centered?

TAW

Post by TAW »

Also pictures of what you're talking about will help all to help you...........

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

When lining up bit you are to use bit center line. Just put a v-bit in router temporarily for lining the x, y axis up. Then put the correct bit in for setting your z-axis then you are all set to go. Be sure in job setup you have chosen the correct settings (material surface vs machine bed/spoilboard surface) & the start location (corner vs center of material)

Some individuals use a laser pointer to line up the z-axis to the x, y axis.

x and y axis intersect together as your second hand drawn image depicts which would put the center of any router bit used to that intersecting corner.

Just some thoughts!

Sharkcutup
Last edited by sharkcutup on Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

If I'm using an endmill of a known diameter, I set an offset of 1/2 the bit diameter usually at the bottom left corner of my workpiece. In other words, neither of the two options shown in the sketch above.
I use a scrap of paper, and sneak up (using a .005" step) until the bit traps the paper against the side of the board. Back up one step to release the paper, then step forward against the board to set 0. The left side for X and the front edge for Y. The thickness of paper is close to .005" which is why I use a .005" jog step.

When I'm cutting something out of a larger board I'll use the center of the board for X/Y zero.

4D