dog knife drag knife

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

gpeck

dog knife drag knife

Post by gpeck »

Has any one used a dog knife too cut out matting??

Kayvon

Re: dog knife drag knife

Post by Kayvon »

What is a dog knife?

I've used a drag knife to cut vinyl sheets. Donek Tools has a drag knife that's supposed to be very good, but I made my own. I'm not sure what a dog knife is, but I'm interested.

gpeck

Post by gpeck »

I did not explane it too good. The knife is simalar to the Donek but it is made by Dog River. I want to use it to cut matting for pictures. it will cut up to 1/4 inch thick. I bought it on amazon and they did not send any instructions on how to install it or how to use it.
There is supposed to be an off set, but no information was included. thanks for answering ...

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

Here are some options you could try:
  • Provide the product page for us and we'll see if we can help you
  • Measure the offset yourself
  • Contact Dog River directly and ask what the offset is
  • Take a guess at the offset and iteratively determine the accurate value
The last option isn't as dumb as it sounds. Typical values range from 0.06" to 0.18" and they can vary based on the material you're cutting. Try something in the middle and see if it works for you. If the blade turns too much on corners, reduce the offset. If it doesn't turn enough, increase the offset.

Out of curiosity, where did you get it? I've been considering making my own, so I'm interested in designs.

gpeck

Post by gpeck »

I bought mine on amazon. It is about the same as a Donek. price difference Dog river about 125.00 and the donek about 240.00.
What is not too clear is weather it set the Z at the table top or the top of the material.

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

The Z setting will depend on your project file. You can start from either, but I prefer to start at the top of the material and set the depth incrementally deeper, as needed, to cut through your piece. I do something similar to this for vinyl cutting.