Can you set Z height during the return to 0,0?

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

AxGryndr

Can you set Z height during the return to 0,0?

Post by AxGryndr »

I am new to the forums so I appreciate an help anyone can provide. Here's the situation:

Today I was cutting a barrel stave which is a geometric nightmare because of all of the curves. After building a holding jig, some alignment helpers and clamps, I was ready for my project. I was cutting six circle down the center to turn it into a flight set for a holiday market. Because of the strange shape I decided to cut each hole as a separate file. Everything was going well until it wasn't. Because of the barrel char, the last plug got ejected so I bent down to pick it up since the cut was done. I heard the end mill cutting material and my heart sank. Since the machine leaves the router on until it returns to 0,0 it was dragging the end mill through my project. On the other five returns, the router was retracted higher than the base so the bit could not make contact. The curve of the stave means the furthest hole has a lower Z position than the center of the stave. It seems the software lifts the router a set amount on the return trip. This amount was not high enough. So I wonder is there a way to set the Z height for the return trip to 0,0? If not, is there a way to not return to 0,0 after a cut is finished?

I am open to any other ideas you all have as well.

AxGryndr

Re: Can you set Z height during the return to 0,0?

Post by AxGryndr »

So I thought this was a setting by default in the pendant but it is not. It is a setting in the VCarve project where you can set the return Home position as well as the Safe Z height. In case anyone else has this issue, you can find this setting in Toolpath pane by clicking on the Material Setup [Set ...] button.