Shark HD520 z axis issues

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Bigd43606

Shark HD520 z axis issues

Post by Bigd43606 »

I have had an HD520 for about 3 months now and have only used it less than 3 hours of cutting time. So my issues are probably not wear. It worked fine when I went to go use it a week ago. The yesterday it suddenly plunged straight down into the project. Luckily I had just started it and had my hand on the e-stop. Wanting to see if was an error in programing I ran the same program again 2" up in the air. What I noticed is the lead screw looked like it was getting momentarily jammed when the machine was moving up causing the machine to loose its position and keep moving lower. I tested this by manually jogging the machine up and down sure enough it would briefly move up then the lead screw would stop. It only happens in fast speed not Medium or low. (Although I am starting to see it in medium speed too now, so it's getting worse)

Here what I have looked at:
#1 Cleaned track and lead screw and lubricated them
#2 Removed motor and slid carriage up and down by hand checking for binding. Slid perfectly fine, nice and smooth.
#3 with motor disconnected rotated lead screw by hand through the whole length of screw in the lead screw nut. No indication of burrs or anything. Ran nice and smooth
#4 checked resistance of motor pole, they were equal and the same as the other two motors on the machine
#5 reinstalled motor made sure coupling from motor to lead screw was nice and tight.

Nothing has helped. I am at a loss here? Any suggestions? I have to wait until Tuesday to call Nextwave as it is memorial day weekend.

Bob

Re: Shark HD520 z axis issues

Post by Bob »

One more test to add:
When owners set their travel speeds too high, steps can be lost.
So, have you changed any travel or jog speeds lately? If too fast when going up, steps could be lost in that direction.
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

Rut Row

Post by Rut Row »

Are you using a router or spindle? If spindle, which one? I'm not sure this is relevant, but I have the 3HP spindle and early on had very strange issues with the Z.

If it moved smoothly with the motor disconnected then it sounds like the motor is not aligned properly.

mrbillfog25

Post by mrbillfog25 »

Were you able to get this resolved? I just started having this exact problem. My hd520 is about 2 years old but not used on a regular basis.
Bill