3HP Spindle running hot

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

TedToler

3HP Spindle running hot

Post by TedToler »

I have a new HD520 with the 3 HP spindle and eCool system. I have continuous coolant flow but the spindle is still heating up to 130 degrees F. I would think that the purpose of the eCool system is to regulate the spindle temperature somewhere south of that level. Can’t find any info anywhere as to the normal operating temperature of the spindle. I don’t want to overheat the spindle. Almost seems that the eCool system is doing nothing but circulating the coolant but not supplying any real cooling. Anyone have any wisdom on this topic would be appreciated. I am cutting only wood.

tonydude

Re: 3HP Spindle running hot

Post by tonydude »

Get a hold of nextwave, email at support@nextwavecnc.com or call 419-500-4317 9AM-5PM EST Mon-Fri. They have helped me plenty of times.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

Kowalsker

Re: 3HP Spindle running hot

Post by Kowalsker »

I had this same issue so today I addressed it.

My fix was to take the little WishDotCom CPU water-block the kit came with, throw it in the scrap bin a plumbed in a spare 120mm computer radiator and 120mm 150CFM fan and upgraded to a 5amp 12V power supply.

The above can be done for less that $100.

My Spindle now runs about 15°F above ambient... my shop is 70°F so I'm sitting at a cool ~85°F on the spindle body. :ugeek:

This doesn't help you or anyone else that much for a quick fix.

The quick fix is to unbolt the little water-block, peal off the plastic protective film on the bottom of the water-block, put some thermal paste on it and reinstall it. :!:

Some might say "Why peal off the protective film?" It's for shipping and handling, not installation. NWA just couldn't be bothered with quality control or quality components. :x

After that you should get enough convective cooling from the back-plate & gantry to keep temps under control.