Received Piranha

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Mimbler

Received Piranha

Post by Mimbler »

I received my piranha yesterday, and got it set up today. Haven't cut anything yet as I need to program something, but the setup was very easy and the machine looks like it is high quality. One thing that surprised me is that the forward y position would be cutting a couple inches off the end of the work table. That might make for some tricky clamping on a full width workpiece. Are the other sharks similar in this regard? I don't think it is a big deal, just surprised me. BTW, I see they are now selling the piranha with the opportunity to upgrade to vcarve pro for 250. I wrote to see if they will honor the same deal for me as it is 400 or 450 as an upgrade from vectric.
Mike

woodwkr57

Re: Received Piranha

Post by woodwkr57 »

The reason for cutting beyond the bed on the front is to allow you to clamp material on the front and do joinery, you'll notice there are clamping holes in the front of the machine. Nextwave learned the trick from people here on the forum modifying their machines for this purpose, so they figured why not build in the capability. As long as you haven't registered the software, NWA can probably help you to upgrade. Give them a call.

Mimbler

Post by Mimbler »

Oh, I'm slapping my forehead right now - that makes total sense and is a useful feature! Also thanks for the heads up on the software. I haven't registered it yet, so I'll hold off till I talk to them about the upgrade.
thanks again,
Mike

woodwkr57 wrote:The reason for cutting beyond the bed on the front is to allow you to clamp material on the front and do joinery, you'll notice there are clamping holes in the front of the machine. Nextwave learned the trick from people here on the forum modifying their machines for this purpose, so they figured why not build in the capability. As long as you haven't registered the software, NWA can probably help you to upgrade. Give them a call.

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

Clamping holes? Could you point these out to me? Do the actual models look different than the photos at Rockller.com? It is not easy to clamp into the end view of t-track sections. You'll want to be careful not to c-clamp to the front plastic as the gantry may bump into your clamps when the router comes forward.

While the original Sharks with MDF tops also came mounted so the router would go past the ends, the later models extend the t-track to encompass all the cutting range. I moved my MDF forward as with a motor and cable in the front plane there was no practical way to clamp there. If your t-track hangs over the back end of your Piranha then you might be able to loosen it and slide it forward to better center under the cutting area. If it is flush to both front and back ends of the plastic base, then IMO you've been misled about the actual cutting area available.

Mimbler

Post by Mimbler »

The holes are through holes in the front plastic base. The extruded track is flush with both rear and front base. If I need to use the extra inch or so travel over the extruded track, I could always overhang an MDF work board to have clamping provisions If I need to.
Mike