X axis stopping

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Thermoman

X axis stopping

Post by Thermoman »

Hello My Black Diamond has been doing a great job for what I've been using it for. But just in the last week and just on this one program the X axis was stopping for no apparent reason.
Well the whole controller was coming to a complete stop to the point I had to power down the controller and then power back up. Did that but still nothing was moving till I restarted the control panel software.
Everything back to normal till it happen all over again almost in the same spot, so I reset everything and checks all connection to all the drives still the same results.
The program that I was running was resurfacing a spoil board. Had and idea that maybe the X axis was overloading and just giving up so I help it out by pushing and pulling it for assist till it hit like a bolt of lightning.
As I was helping the X axis I did quickly let go of it because it was arcing from the router mount (Z axis) to the X axis. It has aluminium diamond plates mount on each side of the plastic frame (just for looks that is where the arcs were discharging and after so many arc hits either the software or the controller got really confused. So far My cure is to ground the four plates together especially when I'm resurfacing a spoil board of MDF. A better idea is to ground dust collector system which mind is but the short hose from there to the CNC is not.

You could actually see the BLUE ARC jumping 3/16 of inch :shock:
So beware of dust collector static discharge

sharkcutup

Re: X axis stopping

Post by sharkcutup »

Looks as if you are having substantial static problems. This usually occurs through the dust collection system which can increase to a substantial amount if not corrected. It can also fry the controller card in the control panel if static is no resolved.
Rockler.com sells a dust grounding kit item # 18003 for $22.99 or you can go to your nearest hardware store for the items needed.
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

cjablonski

Re: X axis stopping

Post by cjablonski »

Shark is correct. Grounding issue. Simple fix as stated above or simply run grounding to an outside ground source.
"I'm not smart, I just remain on problems longer"
Albert Einstein

Making many BTU by experimentation. ...some days it gets too warm :)