Upgrade Gantry on my Mako

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

John 49047

Upgrade Gantry on my Mako

Post by John 49047 »

Hello, does anyone know if the upgraded aluminum Gantry that fits the HD4 series will fit the Mako, I have looked at other posts of others upgrading the plastic components with aluminum to stabilize their machines, and I would like to do much the same. I also saw that at one time that there was a table extension that was offered. I might have to look at extending my table also. My question on that is I know I would have to replace the side rails and threaded rod; I believe I read once that over a certain distance that the rod needs more support due to flex. Also, do I have to replace the table extrusions or just add to what is there using something like dowl pins to line them up and of course move the end out to the new location with cross supports where needed.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

tonydude

Re: Upgrade Gantry on my Mako

Post by tonydude »

John, yes it will fit because I did the same thing. Plus I bought the extended bed long time ago also, don't know if they still sell the extended bed separate yet.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 12.010, photo vcarve, cut3D.cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

John 49047

Post by John 49047 »

Thank you, sir, I am wondering if you would be willing to share a few photos of it with me. Did you have to do much modification or just drop in? Also, for the extension of the bed if you don't mind me asking how long it is? I am just curious, if I can't buy the extension then I can match the top rails and get an idea worked up in my head of the design and can buy parts I should be able to make an extension.

Thank you again.
Regards
John

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

John
Very easy to replace the gantry, just unbolt the old one and replace it with the new gantry. The extended bed info is here. https://nextwavecnc.com/product/shark-c ... base-only/

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 12.010, photo vcarve, cut3D.cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.