Cutting Natural Stone

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Dash

Cutting Natural Stone

Post by Dash »

Hello, all!!
I have some projects in the near future that will require some stone inserts. Surfing the V A S T array of information in mind numbing, as you all know. Where can I find the diamond bits I need or can I get an 1/8 inch collett for a Bosch Colt? Bosch has no info on their parts catalog...
Happy Thanksgiving to all....
Dash

PeteD

Re: Cutting Natural Stone

Post by PeteD »

precisebits.com has 1/8 collets and nuts. They are not cheap but well worth the money as runout is virtually eliminated. Pete

sk8nmike

Post by sk8nmike »

How did your project using stone turn out? Did you carve stone on the Shark?

Loudspeakerboy

Post by Loudspeakerboy »

I 2nd the question

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

I have a sink cutout of granite that is 1 1/4" thick and would love to do something with it but really didn't think this would ever come close to doing the job. Would love to hear any results and or failures. BTW, Corian works awesomely :)

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

Dash

Post by Dash »

Happy New Year to All!!
I should be trying the stone cutting late January. I install flooring (wood, ceramic tile and laminate) for a living and I have not had any time off. Yea, two days for Christmas but, being this busy during winter is unheard of. I am very thankful and blessed!!!
Therefore the Shark is getting a break from my learning. I am like all of you...Projects keep stacking up with no time to cut...What a nice "problem" to have!!
When I do get to the point, I will be sure and post pics and pros and cons of the stone cutting. I am really excited about the task and thanks Eagle, for the tip on the Corian!

Dash

Post by Dash »

Good Evening all!!!
Well, I finally had time (and no patience) to try a cut or two. I broke the rules and used my 60 degree v bit for the text and a regular 1/8 inch ball nose bit for the 3-d. There's the no patience part... The 3-d took 3 hours to cut and its only 5 x 2.5. As you all figured, I slowed my feed rate to about 5 inches per min. The feed rate on the text was set at 15 in. per.
The stone is travertine so it is relatively soft compared to other stone. I visited with our local tile and supplies manager, and when I told him what I was doing, he basically gave me all the tile I wanted!!! I told him to be patient and let me at least try this first. I hope is still as excited as he was last week!!!
I know the pictures suck but, it will give you an idea of what I did. Guess I need to grout the stone; I will post pics of that process later. It is a three stage process...
If you cannot determine what the 3-d is, it is from Vector art and it is an eagle head in a "wrapped flag" with stars.....
Side note: I have not looked or researched the site, but our tile rep recommended Granitecitytools.com for diamond bits and other supplies.
Thank all of you for your interest and encouragement!
Dash
Attachments
011.JPG
013.JPG

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

Just a couple of questions. Given the feed rates and tool bits that you used, 1) did you sense any stress on the machine while cutting the tile? 2) are the 60* and 1/8" ball nose bits of any use carving another project? LOL I think you are right that the travertine tile is relatively soft compared to ceramic and especially something like granite, but at least you give us a feeling of some of the capabilities and what to expect. Thanks for reporting back on your learning experience.

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

baby15

Post by baby15 »

Eagle55 wrote:Just a couple of questions. Given the feed rates and tool bits that you used, 1) did you sense any stress on the machine while cutting the tile? 2) are the 60* and 1/8" ball nose bits of any use carving another project? LOL I think you are right that the travertine tile is relatively soft compared to ceramic and especially something like granite, but at least you give us a feeling of some of the capabilities and what to expect. Thanks for reporting back on your learning experience.

Roger
i need to add a date on a head stone any ideas they want 150.00 to add it

sk8nmike

Post by sk8nmike »

Given the weight of an average headstone, the cost of a good carbide bit to cut the stone and the time involved...I suggest paying the $150. Not sure what the Shark can handle in weight, but a 200 pound slab of granite or marble is sure to max it out, provided you don't drop it..