Levelling issues

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Butcherman

Levelling issues

Post by Butcherman »

I have been doing a lot of carvings and engravings for the last 4-5 months and all of the sudden, after leveling the wood on the table, will only engrave the bottom half and completely miss the upper half. Then I go and run the tool path again and I recognize that it is missing the top by almost an 1/8 of an inch and then about a 1/16 of an inch off the bottom. I am not that experienced and trying to trouble shoot. Please tell me this is not common for a 4,000.00 piece of equipment without accessories. Crazy, right. Someone from next wave gave me some things to do and getting ready to try them. I hope you are able to help as I never heard back from next wave on my 2nd email. Of course they never returned my 2 phone calls from today as well. Please help!!!

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: Levelling issues

Post by jeb2cav »

When it does this - after the job is complete, and it returns to the home position. Immediately have it Move to 0,0,0. Is the Z position at Z0 - or did it shift up or down?

If it is not the same as it was when you set it prior to starting the job, I'd look first at the motor/lead screw collar nuts and ensure they are tight and the screw is against the flat part of the lead screw.

If I understand you correctly, you've just recently started experiencing this error in carving outcome.

drueth

Post by drueth »

Butcherman

One other member just had a problem with how he was placing the clamps. If you have not added support bars under your table the board and the clamp foot must be on the same rail else the clamp can destort the table and make it twist up or down.
Second does your shark have a home of its own (you do not move it as you would a chop saw) And is it on a flat surface. If one corner is higher than all the others it will warp the bottom frame of the shark and this will cause the Y rails to act like a roller coster. And you may be able to see as much as .0625"
Reading Jeb2car post one other thing comes to mind are you sure your router has not moved up in the clamp. Place a mark on the router so you can tell if it has move up in the clamp and try your cut again. This would also be seen when the router returns to zero and it is higher than when you first set it to zero
drueth
Shark Pro Plus HD
new to CNC 12/2012

milo30

Post by milo30 »

Have you jogged the router around the table to ensure that it is still flat and aligned with the router? Does it do it all the time now or just the one board? Checked your setup to make sure it isn't running too aggressively and maybe thrown it off?