Tip on cutting project tabs

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

REG

Tip on cutting project tabs

Post by REG »

I made 15 small paques that I cut in 1/4" ply-panel. I made the layout with 4 tabs on each plaque. At first I was snipping the tabs with a small side saw but then realized I have one of those Oscillating Multifunction Power Tool with an angle cutting blade. I pulled it out and flipped my panel and cut the tabs to a smooth edge. What a beautiful tool! :P

Tim Owens

Re: Tip on cutting project tabs

Post by Tim Owens »

Since we're talking about the tab function. I thought I would provide a technique for anybody who needs to have precise cutouts or even would like to remove the ring tailed marks which happens when you are cutting down in layers.

This is normally done in the profile function, because the pocket function has its own cleanup routine. So if you're doing a profile what you would do is set up the tabs but put an offset in their let's say .03 so that it wouldn't cut entirely up to the line you're working with. Then you would use the copy command on this profile (in the toolpath side) which makes an exact copy of the toolpath you're just working with which will include the tabs.

On the new toolpath the changes you need to make is you take off the offset (return to 0.0) then you need to select edit of the tool and set its step parameter down to your maximum depth you are cutting. This will allow it to make one pass without stepping down as the other toolpath did.

So what would happen is the first toolpath would run with the offset it would keep the tabs and then you would see the second profile toolpath would run since it has the exact same tabs it would go down make one cleanup cut which would make it very precise and clean out any ring tailed marks that might be there. This of course minimizes any sort of sanding.

Hope this is helpful.

Tim

REG

Re: Tip on cutting project tabs

Post by REG »

Tim Owens wrote: Hope this is helpful.

Tim
It is very helpful! The less sanding, especially the broad/tall edges, the better!