Post Pictures on this Forum - How To

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post Pictures on this Forum - How To

Post by jeb2cav »

I've seen several comments on posting pictures to this forum, and thought I'd share what I know. I'd like to see more pictures...

1. There is a file size limitation of 256 kb. Most pictures taken by a camera, video camera, web camera, etc, exceed this.

2. I know that the file formats of jpg, png and gif work. I haven't tried others - like tif - but given the file size limitation, these formats are probably the best to use so that the image is as clear as it can be within the size constraint.

3. You can have a maximum of 3 attachments per post. If you want to post more pictures, submit the post you are working on, then reply to it and continue to post your pics.

So, before trying to upload that picture, take a look at its file size. In my example, the original picture is 3,074 kb - way over the 256 kb limit.
Original file.jpg
Original File Size
(5.22 KiB) Not downloaded yet
If I had tried to upload this picture, I would've seen this failure message at the top of my draft post.
Forum File Too Big Message
Forum File Too Big Message
Any photo editing program will help you create an image you can upload to this forum. I'm going to us Paint - a program that comes with the operating system and is usually found in the Accessories section of the Programs.

Open the original in Paint, then select Image, then select Resize/Skew.
Paint - Image - Resize/Skew Tool Selection
Paint - Image - Resize/Skew Tool Selection
I've now reached the maximum of 3 attachments, and will continue this in the next post...

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: Post Pictures on this Forum - How To

Post by jeb2cav »

Continuing the process using Paint -

In the Resize/Skew Toolbox, I entered 25% for both horizontal and vertical. It is important to use the same number here in this Paint program. Higher end image handling programs usually have a default lock on maintaining the ratio of the resizing. Paint is not as robust, so you need to manually enter in the same values here to resize the image. In this case, we are making the image smaller.
Paint - Resize and Skew Toolbox
Paint - Resize and Skew Toolbox
My test image is already a jpg file format. However, if you want, you can use the Paint, File, Save As command to save the file in the format of your choice.
Paint - File - Save As
Paint - File - Save As
When the Save As Toolbox opens, you can use the pull down on the right to expose the file format choices and pick one.
Paint - Save As Toolbox
Paint - Save As Toolbox
I've again reached the 3 attachment limit - on to the next post...

stonker

Post by stonker »

I like to use photobucket to host my pics and put a image link in these threads to it.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

I'm now ready to create the post and add the attachments. To upload attachments, you need to first expose the Upload Attachment toolbox by clicking on it. Then hit Browse, navigate to the location of the file you want to upload, hit ok. At this point, the file is not uploaded to the post. The software only knows what file you want to upload. You can add a File Comment at this point. The File Comment will be placed next to the file name in your post. Finally - click on Add the file.
Forum Upload Attachment
Forum Upload Attachment
If you're successful, you'll see a Posted Attachments section at the bottom of your draft post.
Successful Attachment to Post
Successful Attachment to Post
At this point, you can hit submit, add another picture then submit, etc. You can also choose to place the photos inline to the post. If you don't do this, the files still get attached to your post and are available for viewing. They will be at the bottom of your post.

In my case, here is the reduced in size version of the original 3,074 kb image.
25 Percent of Original
25 Percent of Original
Another easy way to do this, particularly if you are using other online sites to share your pictures with others, is to paste the link to that online image into your CNC Shark post (I think Stonker has already posted that here as well while I've been typing on part 3...).

Not as bad as it may sound - particularly if you've never had to think about resizing an image. Hope this helps.

stonker

Post by stonker »

Sorry if I jumped the gun. I didn't realize you were not done. Nice tips!

cdat

Post by cdat »

So how do I post links/files for v-carve files I've already created so others can enjoy the fruits of my labors? I've got 1400 I'd love to share but quite honestly, I'm at a lost on how to post them.
Let's revisit the whole "Hope I die before I get old" Thing.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Seeing as Rockler hasn't decided to allow .crv files to be attached to posts -

You could setup a free account at a storage site like MediaFire (www.mediafire.com). I've done this and used it to share a couple pdf documents with this forum. It's free, the crv files won't exceed their free size limit, etc. You could then provide a link to the folder where you uploaded them, and folks could download as they desire. It's free, so it may be a little clunky, but it would work well enough. This would only provide a sharing site for you - anyone who wanted to share in a similar manner would have to repeat this and share those links.

You'd have to ensure that none of the crv files have content that you purchased of course (like images, VectorArt3D, fonts, etc) - but you probably already thought of that. I don't see a lot of this type of sharing at the Vectric site, but their forum clearly allows crv and other Vectric application file types to be uploaded.

The other alternative is for those who are interested to let Rockler know - and perhaps they will decide to enable this forum site to support that. I'll go ahead and start a new post on this aspect and fellow users can chime in. Perhaps the volume of response will enable Al at Rockler to convince the powers to be to make the changes. Of course, there is a cost for this - not many crv files would be smaller than 256kb. But I would think that this kind of activity - project sharing - would be attractive to Rockler to decrease learning curve and increase productivity of using the Shark.

Bob

Post by Bob »

jeb2cav wrote:Seeing as Rockler hasn't decided to allow .crv files to be attached to posts -

You could setup a free account at a storage site like MediaFire (http://www.mediafire.com). I've done this and used it to share a couple pdf documents with this forum. It's free, the crv files won't exceed their free size limit, etc. You could then provide a link to the folder where you uploaded them, and folks could download as they desire. It's free, so it may be a little clunky, but it would work well enough. This would only provide a sharing site for you - anyone who wanted to share in a similar manner would have to repeat this and share those links.

You'd have to ensure that none of the crv files have content that you purchased of course (like images, VectorArt3D, fonts, etc) - but you probably already thought of that. I don't see a lot of this type of sharing at the Vectric site, but their forum clearly allows crv and other Vectric application file types to be uploaded.

The other alternative is for those who are interested to let Rockler know - and perhaps they will decide to enable this forum site to support that. I'll go ahead and start a new post on this aspect and fellow users can chime in. Perhaps the volume of response will enable Al at Rockler to convince the powers to be to make the changes. Of course, there is a cost for this - not many crv files would be smaller than 256kb. But I would think that this kind of activity - project sharing - would be attractive to Rockler to decrease learning curve and increase productivity of using the Shark.
You can post crv files:

http://cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=477

My latest example.
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Thanks Bob - I must've had too large a file the once or twice times I tried it - and early on.

cdat

Post by cdat »

How do you get your files so friggin' small?
Let's revisit the whole "Hope I die before I get old" Thing.