Can not detect touch plate error

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

misterx

Can not detect touch plate error

Post by misterx »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Hi, I have the shark pro plus and my touch plate used to work fine. I always keep it plugged in, but now it is giving me an error.well I do what I always did I click on load G code and it asks if I want to use virtual setup and I click yes then if I want to use the last files and I say no. Then it goes to all four corners and the middle and touches down, then I disconnect the touch plate and hit run then I get a pop up saying can not detect touch plate. Please make sure the touch plate is plugged into the controller. Can anyone help me to figure out what I is going on and why it all of a sudden stopped working. Thanks Tim

sharkcutup

Re: Can not detect touch plate error

Post by sharkcutup »

Just a brainstorming here!

Have you changed or reinstalled the control panel software?
May need to re-register touch plate again.

Is the touch plate cord secure on both ends (cord/controller and cord/touch plate)? And is the cord still in good condition - no cuts, breaks, etc....

I leave my touch plate plugged in all the time too but I always check it along with a number of other things prior to start up thereby eliminating any surprises/mishaps! :roll:

If none of this helps maybe someone out there may have had the same thing happen to them and could stir you in the right direction!

Have a GREAT DAY!!! :D

Be SAFE around those AWESOME machines!!!
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

misterx

Post by misterx »

Thanks sharkcutup, I when back and checked the cable and the cord was pulled out about a 1/8" on the touch plate end. I pushed it back in and tried it again and it worked without an error. I never thought to check that because it would give the different Z distances on all four corners and the middle. I thought it was done when I disconnected the magnet and removed the touch plate and clicked the run button but I guess not. Thanks Again

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

AWESOME!!! Glad to see problem solved!!!

Have a GREAT DAY!!! :D

Be SAFE around those AWESOME machines!!! ;)
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Rando

Post by Rando »

misterx wrote:Thanks sharkcutup, I when back and checked the cable and the cord was pulled out about a 1/8" on the touch plate end. I pushed it back in and tried it again and it worked without an error. I never thought to check that because it would give the different Z distances on all four corners and the middle. I thought it was done when I disconnected the magnet and removed the touch plate and clicked the run button but I guess not. Thanks Again
Yes, that message indicates that the circuit is shorted. When the bit touches the plate, it completes (shorts) the sensing circuit. So, if the circuit is shorted when it starts the process, it knows it won't be able to detect the bit and plate touching, so it won't know when to stop. For my setup, I got a 3-foot 1/8" stereo headphone jack extension cable, so the touch plate doesn't have to plug into the controller directly. Works well and makes sure the jack on the controller isn't going to be affected by any pulling when using the plate. just an idea....
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

studio-n

Post by studio-n »

interesting. I just got this error message today. The funny thing is, I get the test dialog box to
touch the plate to the bit and when I do it sees it. that means the circuit was completed and it detects it.
It detects when I pull the plate away too and the good message goes away. But then when I try to run a virtual setup
I get the touch plate not found error. can't be both now can it.
I'll look into it more but for now, the good ol' fashion method of a piece of paper between the bit and the workpiece will have to do.
"Out of my mind.....back in 5 minutes"
Rockler 60th Anniversary CNC Shark
w/digital probe, and 4th axis attachment.
ULS M300 Laser Engraver 50 Watt
Aspire and Corel Draw
NextEngine 2020i 3D scanner

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

Step by step. (after registration with NWA and preferences setup for touch plate are complete.)

1.) Align router to your x and y location of material (click/set the y0 and x0)
2.) Select 'detect touch plate' on control panel screen a dialog box will appear.
3.) Attach touch plate magnet to router collet
4.) place touch plate under router bit and lift the touch plate to contact with router bit -- a green message will show in the dialog box 'circuit is complete'
5.) Set touch plate underneath the router bit and select the yes selection box in the dialog box --- the cnc Z-axis will creep down touch the touch plate and back away thereby setting the Z-axis location.
6.) If everything preceding was completed successfully you should be able to use virtual setup.

I use the above every time without a hitch!

Hope this helps!!!

Have a GREAT Day!!! :D

V-Carve Pro 11.554

studio-n

Post by studio-n »

sharkcutup wrote:
Step by step. (after registration with NWA and preferences setup for touch plate are complete.)

1.) Align router to your x and y location of material (click/set the y0 and x0)
2.) Select 'detect touch plate' on control panel screen a dialog box will appear.
3.) Attach touch plate magnet to router collet
4.) place touch plate under router bit and lift the touch plate to contact with router bit -- a green message will show in the dialog box 'circuit is complete'
5.) Set touch plate underneath the router bit and select the yes selection box in the dialog box --- the cnc Z-axis will creep down touch the touch plate and back away thereby setting the Z-axis location.
6.) If everything preceding was completed successfully you should be able to use virtual setup.
1-4 check.
#5 - nope. get the touch plate not found error. How can it find it in #4 and then not find it in #5? Especially after working as 1-6 for months.
Aspire and Corel Draw

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

1-4 check.
#5 - nope. get the touch plate not found error. How can it find it in #4 and then not find it in #5? Especially after working as 1-6 for months.
Bummer!!! Have you contacted NWA support about this issue?

A little brainstorming here:

Has your Control Panel software updated/changed recently?
A.) A possibility NWA may have made some changes that has inadvertently affected the touch plate functionality without realizing it.
B.) You may have reloaded Control Panel software without re-registering touch plate with NWA.
C.) Is the touch plate thickness info correct on the preferences menu of the Control Panel?
D.) Good touch plate Cable and Firm connections on each end?

Magnet connection???
A.) Is the magnet and its wire still in great shape?
B.) Good solid contact to router collet/spindle?

If none of the above is an issue then it may be time to contact NWA or just continue z-axis setup with your trusty piece of paper of course then virtual zero is out of the question/operation!

Have a GREAT Day!!! :D

V-Carve Pro 11.554

studio-n

Post by studio-n »

sharkcutup wrote: Bummer!!! Have you contacted NWA support about this issue?

A little brainstorming here:

Has your Control Panel software updated/changed recently?
A.) A possibility NWA may have made some changes that has inadvertently affected the touch plate functionality without realizing it.
B.) You may have reloaded Control Panel software without re-registering touch plate with NWA.
C.) Is the touch plate thickness info correct on the preferences menu of the Control Panel?
D.) Good touch plate Cable and Firm connections on each end?

Magnet connection???
A.) Is the magnet and its wire still in great shape?
B.) Good solid contact to router collet/spindle?
It's the weekend so I'll contact them Monday. I NEVER update the control panel unless I have to and I always leave the wireless off so some windows update doesn't muck things up. I'm pretty up to date and everything worked fine last week. All the connections have been checked and like I said it detects the plate (get the green message) on the test touch off. We'll get it sorted out. I'm sure NWA will say update the CP to the latest because that's the easiest thing to do. I need to do that during the week because it always loses the registration keys. Cheers!
Aspire and Corel Draw