New CNC Controller using DDCSV1.1 Panel

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

JayMcClellan

New CNC Controller using DDCSV1.1 Panel

Post by JayMcClellan »

I just finished building this new controller to run my CNC Shark HD 2.0, and eventually to run other CNC machines in my shop:

This replaces the original Shark controller box and gives me a pendant-style interface with MPG wheel, standalone operation with a USB thumb drive, and automatic control of my water-cooled spindle. I published a video and construction details, along with my Fusion 360 post-processor that generates G code for the DDCSv1.1 panel and for the original CNC Shark controller, at http://www.brainright.com/Projects/CNCController/.

sharkcutup

Re: New CNC Controller using DDCSV1.1 Panel

Post by sharkcutup »

WOW!!! That is way Cool!!! :)

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

scubanimal

Post by scubanimal »

Wow, that is truly impressive. Your creating all the info for the rest of us, is awesome. - thank you

savannahdan

Post by savannahdan »

My NWA controller isn't working. NWA has worked on it but the thing doesn't even turn on. Also, I use Aspire and am wondering whether this CNC Controller can work with it and be the answer to my problems. My cnc has been down for about a year. First the motors burned, got new ones and that probably caused the problems I'm having with the control box of which NWA replaced the board. Last I used it the thing went for a small run over the material stopped and died. I've tried to work through NWA support and that hasn't been the greatest experience. Thank you.

SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I still think Jay's controller is real neat, but I do believe it is connected to the actual control box and with his control box it acts like a pendant similar to what NWA uses for the new HD4.
Looks very nice and well thought out.
Seems like jay knows a bit about electronics! LOL

JayMcClellan

Post by JayMcClellan »

This completely replaces the NWA controller. I put my own 16mm 4-pin aviation connectors on the stepper motor cables from the Shark, and they are connected directly to my power module with its stepper drivers. I generate G-code files using Fusion 360 but I actually used the Fusion post-processor script that I first wrote to generate G-code for the Shark control panel, i.e. the DDCSV1.1 panel will accept essentially the same G-code as the NWA control panel. The only extra tweak I needed was to add an M5 code at the end to turn off the spindle. The NWA post-processor for Vectric (at least the version I have) doesn't include that, just M2 to end the program, and the DDCSV1.1 won't automatically shut off the spindle at the end unless the program includes an M5 instruction. I don't have Aspire but I do have VCarve and both should work just fine with the DDCSV1.1 controller just by adding the M5 at the end of the Vectric post processor script. Fusion 360 is much better for most of my purposes, and free, but VCarve is better at (duh) V-carving text so I'll probably continue to use both.

sk8nmike

Post by sk8nmike »

Does this also replace the inverter for the Spindle?

JayMcClellan

Post by JayMcClellan »

No, this connects to the inverter (VFD) to provide a spindle-start signal and a 0-10V signal that sets the speed. Having those signals is convenient but not necessary, i.e. one could just set the speed manually and start/stop the spindle with the buttons on the VFD. One could also just use a router motor like my shark originally had, but my power module doesn't have a relay to switch a router motor since I had already upgraded to a water cooled spindle.

tpulley

Post by tpulley »

You should check with NextwaveAutomation and see if they would license this from you and build them. It looks way more complicated to me than my little brain can manage. Buy it I would, but try and make it... Nah, I just don;t think I could get there from here.
HD4 extended, Vcarve pro 8.5, 4th axis, Laser. Learning everyday...

SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Jay:

You should get in touch with Next Wave and sell them your Idea. It' may be more stable than what they currently have.