Water cooled spindle

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Jepetto

Water cooled spindle

Post by Jepetto »

I am still novice to the cnc world. I bought the recommended spindle for my shark EXTENDED bed. Ive attached a picture of it. Can anyone tell me if I can get an adapter so that I can use my 1/2 inch bits. If so can you share a link to get one.

Thanks in advance
Attachments
Screenshot_20190424-235806_Samsung Internet.jpg

Eagle55

Re: Water cooled spindle

Post by Eagle55 »

It appears that this uses the ER-11 collet system that only ranges from 1mm to 7mm diameter shafts. 7mm is approx .275". The plus is that there is every imaginable size within those limits, just not larger. Although it sounds nice to have a larger 1/2" shaft cutter to do some things, the Shark is really not designed to handle that size tooling. 1/8" and 1/4" diameter shafts (which the spindle comes with) is about the only practical sizes for use with the Shark. Reason being that gantry flex will be your greatest enemy with larger bits and sometimes even 1/4" bits with a heavy tool loading.
Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

OCEdesigns

Post by OCEdesigns »

What he said. ^^^

The Gantry is really your limiting factor to running larger bits due to the flex.
Shark HD4 Extended Bed, Water Cooled Spindle. VCarve Pro 10.5
Maker of many chips

Jepetto

Post by Jepetto »

Okay that makes sense. I've noticed this flex already. I appreciate the help. I still have a lot of learning to do. Yall take care

CharliesWoodStuff

Post by CharliesWoodStuff »

I'm amazed that the gantry will flex. I bought this because I thought the metal (aluminum?) would be stronger than that. This isn't a complaint against my shark, just a bit of a disappointment. My first CNC was a bobscnc made of 1/4" plywood. I thought I'd solved the flex issue with the shark. Oh well...