spoiler board?

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

FrederickHighSchool

spoiler board?

Post by FrederickHighSchool »

We are a high school robotics team that was recently given a grant and purchased a Shark HD4. We would like some advice of how to make a spoiler board and what is the best material to use for the spoiler board. Additionally, what is the best bit to cut 3/16 to 1/4" aluminum? Thank You in advance for your help!

Kayvon

Re: spoiler board?

Post by Kayvon »

Spoil boards are usually made of MDF, cut down to fit on your CNC's bed. A quick forum search and you'll find lots of examples.

bill z

Post by bill z »

Great to hear that you young folks are interested in CNC machining. These sharks can do mild metals and most plastics.

Spoil boards are as customizable as the need. Yes, with wood or plastic, most spoil boards are MDF or old very cheap plywood. Much of the design of your spoil board depends on the sizes of your average project and how many clamps you will need. You have to manage to your clamping designs. In the past, I have used everything from screws through unused materials right into my MDF spoil board to store bought aluminum fancy clamps.

There are some on this forum that mill aluminum with their shark and they removed the aluminum top that comes with the shark and built a bracket to hold their milling vice with a tray to catch light oil.

Here is just one link to a post in this forum where spoil boards are mentioned. --> https://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic. ... ard#p32409

I, for one, would like to see some of your results in not only the spoil board but what you start making using the Shark.

Great to hear from new blood.

rungemach

Post by rungemach »

You may find this older posting helpful as well. I also use a slat type arrangement and it has worked very well over the years. Allows the use of clamping, as well as links the table top sections together for increased strength.

https://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic. ... 6&start=10

bill z

Post by bill z »

A couple of things that are important. When bolting down your spoil board(s), use nylon bolts, just in case an error in the Z axis causes the router bit to travel across a bolt head. Nylon will save your more expensive router bit.

Also, I frequently use a thin 1/8 ply-board as a spoil board on top of my regular spoil board when cutting smaller parts. There is no real rule except you have to keep the wood you are cutting immobile or you will ruin it. What ever it takes to keel it still.

Last, I frequently have to figure in the height of my clamp(s) so they will not get in the way of the vacuum attachment that I have on my rig. It sticks out 5 inches in front of the router. If it hits a clamp, I loose ether the X reference, the Y reference or both. In any of these cases, not good.

FrederickHighSchool

Post by FrederickHighSchool »

Thank You guys so much!

Bob

Post by Bob »

Fred, (I have to call you by some name...)
In addition to all the excellent advice listed above, give some real serious thought to making your own clamps. I make mine out of oak, or other hardwood. You will eventually run into a clamp with a bit. The clamp is sacrificed, the bit is undamaged. Search this forum. There are files posted for making your own clamps.
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)