Rental rate for using a CNC Shark?

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

DanG

Rental rate for using a CNC Shark?

Post by DanG »

Howdy. I have a question of the monetary/ethical/philosophical variety, but I’ll try to keep it brief!

My friend bought a CNC Shark HD3 Extended Bed a few years back. It now resides in my garage. Between the two of us, I’m the only one who has put in the time and effort to learn how to use it. I’m just starting to get a few small, paying woodworking jobs using the CNC Shark. I’m doing 100% of the work, but it seems only fair that I toss him a few bucks for the use of a tool that he 100% paid for. What do you think would be a fair rate for “renting” time on his machine (which, again, occupies space in my garage and uses my electricty)? Ten percent of my net profit? Twenty percent? An hourly rate, based on actual milling time?

What would you want to get paid for renting out your CNC Shark to a friend?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts!

—DanG

bill z

Re: Rental rate for using a CNC Shark?

Post by bill z »

The fair value would be what you two agree to.

However, there are weare and tear issues to consider.

Are you are supplying the router bits, spoil board...?

I suppose you are cleaning and keep adjustments correct.

The router has bearings that will require replacing after a while.

Keep detailed records so if or when the issue comes up, you can show exactly what you are spending and making.

Maybe offer to buy him out if he isn't using it and you are.

If you sell your projects, could you have made them without the CNC? If not, then he should get something or some of the prophets could go back into up keep on the machine.

Just my 2¢. Thanks for asking.

DanG

Post by DanG »

Thanks, bill z, for the two cents, and the other factors to consider! I'll go with my gut, and we'll hash it out.

BarberShop

Post by BarberShop »

I would offer to buy the machine. It is sitting in your garage. Friend not using, maybe he would consider selling and you two continue being friends.