Setting zero with touch plate

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

BarberShop

Setting zero with touch plate

Post by BarberShop »

Instructions on using the touch plate are vague at best. I have followed instructions found in various locations for my HD4. None seem an exact match but I have done what I think is correct. Problem is when I zero out my board and run a file it starts to the left about one inch from my true zero. The Z sets fine but X will not. I've also had the Y reset an inch away during a test run of zero.

sharkcutup

Re: Setting zero with touch plate

Post by sharkcutup »

At the start you will need to set all axis at 0 (x0, y0, z0)

Depending on where you have selected to start x-axis, y-axis (center, or corner) in your design program so that the g-code produced from the design program match the machine setup and carving process.

If you are using the center then find the center of your material and mark it.
Manually move the CNC Router to that position with preferably a v-bit in router (some use a laser, some use other bits an eyeball center of bit to mark on material). Once the machine has been moved to this position you will have to click the x-axis button and the y-axis button on screen to tell the program that this is the zero position for each axis.

Depending on where you have selected to start (material surface or machine bed) z-axis in your design program so that the g-code produced from the design program match the machine setup and carving process.

Next you must set the z-axis whether it be paper between bit and material or the touch plate usage process.

z-axis zero Paper process is rather simple just place paper between bit and material surface lower z-axis to where it just touches the paper then click the z-axis button for zeroing on screen.

Touch plate the thickness of the touch plate being used must be inputted into the proper place usually Virtual Zero Preferences in the control program software.

Move touch plate between router bit and to either top of material surface or the machine bed whichever has been chosen in your design program because they must match. Attach the magnet wire to the router bit or collet.

On the computer screen there should be a button called detect touch plate click it a pop-up should appear. To check to make sure you have a connection take the touch plate and move it up and touch the router bit on screen you should notice some of the characters/text change color when you do this signifying that a connection has been made. Set the touch plate back down on the material between router bit and material. Click the okay button on the pop-up window the z-axis will lower and touch off the touch plate. After this occurs z-zero is now set and the computer pop-up changes telling you to remove touch plate. Remove the touch plate.

All Axis should now be at 0 (x0, y0, z0) CNC machine should now match the design program software

Note: I have to put a disclaimer in here --- this is what I see with the use of my cnc machine control software which is the
control software that came with my Shark HD3 Pro Plus Extended Bed. What I see versus the newer machines may be considerably
different. So I say use caution with following or using these recommendations/instructions.
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

BarberShop

Post by BarberShop »

Yes, I've been through all this. And like your disclaimer, My software, controller, and interface ( pendant) is different from yours and all the instructions I find.

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

Problem is when I zero out my board and run a file it starts to the left about one inch from my true zero. The Z sets fine but X will not. I've also had the Y reset an inch away during a test run of zero.
You may want to check your design software to make sure that there are no offsets set for any of the axis unless you absolutely need/require an offset. Job Setup>xy datum Position

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

BarberShop

Post by BarberShop »

OK,
So I've remedied my issue. As usual, I found the solution somewhere between suggestions and trial and error. Going in and manually setting my zero relative to the limits of my machine allowed a reset the device and allowed accurate zero on my workpiece. Thanks, sharkcutup. Now to the next issue, deflection. I just noticed NWA now has a fix for their design flaw. Their answer? A $59.99 damping piece that reduces the deviation of the Y-axis by a claim of 40%. I'm going to purchase this fix as my only option to remedy this design flaw though I now see the HD5 has fixed the issue with extruded aluminum router mounts and rails mounted to the gantry. This effort is a great solution and the obvious evolutionary process for NWA. My problem now is I want the new HD5 extended for both the deflection fix and the increase in the work area.