Spam bots are out of hand -- FIXED

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Kayvon

Spam bots are out of hand -- FIXED

Post by Kayvon »

Reporting their posts does nothing. I've sent multiple emails to sharktalk@rockler.com, but I don't think that account is being monitored. I just put in a phone call to Rockler's Shark support. Last time I tried this, the bots were cleared out a couple days later.

It would be so much easier if Rockler would assigned an active forum user rights to kick these spambots before they get out of hand like this.

cromag27

Re: Spam bots are out of hand

Post by cromag27 »

yeah it’s a shit show. i’ve reached out to rockler and nw and it is what it is. sometimes i feel like creating my own.

Kayvon

Re: Spam bots are out of hand

Post by Kayvon »

Great news! The Power That Be have bestowed admin access on two forum regulars, Bob and myself. I've been going through and cleaning out the spam posts. You'll have to look elsewhere for advice on where to buy Goose Sneakers (whatever those are).

If you see a spam post, hit the exclamation mark at the top of the post to report it. We'll keep the forum tidy and help it be more inviting for new and returning users.

cbhelms

Re: Spam bots are out of hand -- FIXED

Post by cbhelms »

Glad to hear that you have been asked to get rid of all these spam's that keep showing up everyday. I just got tired of coming on here any more because of it.
Thanks,

Colin Helms
Shark HD 5 Extended Bed, Aspire 10.514

mcsteve

Post by mcsteve »

Great news!!!!!

Thanks for working on this.
CNC Shark Pro Plus - 12/2014
VCarve Pro, PhotoVCarve, Cut3D
ViaCAD 3D, AutoCAD, Sketchup
BobCAD V28

Rando

Post by Rando »

In your spelunking in the bowels of the system, did you find a way to "moderate" the new accounts?
Or at least put all new account's posting ability under moderation until they've show they actually are about CNCs?

Obviously there's a need to have a preventative measures in addition to clean-up of the messes they've left behind.

Thanks both of you for taking it on, let's hope a little cleaner place to talk will encourage people to come back.
Maybe we need to post "adverts" on the FB page that reminds people this one is there also?

Cheers!

Rando
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

I haven't done any account moderation whatsoever. Simply deleting spam posts. I'm on here almost daily, so I'm able to clean the spam posts as they appear.

I'm not familiar with the FB page -- I'm never on FB. If you want to let people know that this forum is available, that'd be great. The forum was a valuable resource in answering a couple questions I had while I was learning the ropes.

Rando

Post by Rando »

Traffic to the FB group page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/SharkHD4Owners) is FAR greater than here...orders of magnitude, even compared to when these forums were the main venue. And thankfully, very little of what I'd call true spam/unwanted stuff. It's quite a clean and helpful group.
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

BillK

Post by BillK »

Thanks so much for doing this, glad you got permission. I haven’t been on here in a while since the last time I looked it seemed abandoned to me. There is a wealth of information in the posts here, glad its being maintained properly now.
BillK
http://www.Facebook.com/CarvingsbyKurtz
Instagram: carvingsbykurtz
Twitter: @CBKwoodcarver