HD-500- CUTTING ROUND SLOTS- SLOTS NOT ROUND

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

NORMIE

HD-500- CUTTING ROUND SLOTS- SLOTS NOT ROUND

Post by NORMIE »

<<RE-POSTED>>
Hi All,
I'm trying to create a cylinder in wood with a hole in it (or a spacer).
So I'm cutting a round slot to form the exterior of the cylinder(spacer).
When I do this the exterior is not round.....
......I get a truncated cylinder with 2 flats on top and bottom???
Not sure if it's in the programing (Vcarve Desktop) or in the machine?
See attached pic
spacer.JPG
Any help would be appreciated.
Thx Normie

NORMIE

Re: HD-500- CUTTING ROUND SLOTS- SLOTS NOT ROUND

Post by NORMIE »

Hi All,

It looks like I might have found the solution from Shark forum.............

please see :

Hi,

I had the same issue and was able to fix it with an email to supports. Here is a picture of my problem and a quote from the email reply from support:

"... I would start by checking the X axis coupler to see if it needs to be tightened. It could have come slightly loosened during shipping. Below you will find a step by step guide to check/tighten the couplers on your machine.

The couplers are 0.5" long black cylinders that connect the motor to the threaded drive rod of each axis. To access the coupler, start by removing the four screws that hold the motor to the machine, and carefully back the motor and rod out until the coupler is visible.

Each coupler has two screws; one that screws into a flat spot on the motor and one that screws into a flat spot on the threaded rod. Loosen these screws just a little and make sure the flat spots on the rod and motor are positioned correctly then tighten the coupler screws back down. Many users put Loctite on the screw threads to ensure they are less likely to loosen again. Once the coupler screws are tightened back down, re-attach the motor.

There are a few different ways to determine where a coupler might be slipping. A file with a circle whose radius is equal to 1/4 of your machine bed size may come out with one or more straight/flat "edges". If this occurs, then its likely that there is a slipping coupler. This slipping occurs when an axis reverses direction. X-axis flat spots will be on the sides, in the same direction as the slats in the aluminum t-track. If slipping is occurring in the y-axis the flat spot will be perpendicular to the slats on the aluminum t-track..."
I'll try this........sounds like it's the problem I'm having!!
Thx Normie

jbarkee

Post by jbarkee »

My new shark hd510 is doing the same thing. Did the fix mentioned above work? Just got the machine and this was my very first test run.
D96D56B4-8E78-4C87-9B9B-C41C2442AF3D.jpeg

jbarkee

Post by jbarkee »

all fixed. y-axis coupler - shaft to motor was loose