Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

joe087797

Re: SD110 Spoil Board and Tramming

Post by joe087797 »

CNCNWFL wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:20 pm
Max wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:59 pm
Hello SD110, I too am new to the CNC world. I saw this video that I think will help you. Go to you tube and watch the video "CNC Router Spoil board Surfacing Bit FEEDS and SPEEDS - Garrett Fromme". He will give you a good idea on how to resurface your spoil board but also how to make it work in the software. He also uses VCarve Pro and Desktop software which is what SD110 comes with. I believe your step over needs to be adjusted to about .02. Think of it like mowing a lawn, you don't want to step over too far or you will miss some grass on the next row right? Therefore, I would try to tighten up the overlap on the cut, and not adjust anything else. But again, watch the video first for I could be wrong. I too have just bought a SD110 and I find myself wondering what spoil board design would be best and how to secure it to the CNC t track floor yet be able to move clamps around for different size projects. Your suggestions are welcome. I hope this helps and hope to hear your suggestions.
Max, thanks for responding. I viewed the video and got some info from it, but not what I was really looking for. I cannot figure out how to make adjustments to the SD 110 router carriage. I've asked Shark support. To your comments about changing the stopover, I'll try that, but 0.02 seems like a really small stopover. To your comments about spoil board design and securing to the SD 110 bed. I found a YouTube video by Ralph Bagnall, May 7, 2014. This link should work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyt8zOJUQJ4/

I adapted that because of the size of the bed of the SD 110. But the dado cut followed by the t-slot handheld router was slick.

I think I have added two pictures. Note that to make the trial spoilboard (which prompted my original question) I used turner's double sided tape to adhere the workpiece to the spoilboard.
that's interesting, thanks for detailed desc