SD110 Spoil Board and Tramming

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

CNCNWFL

SD110 Spoil Board and Tramming

Post by CNCNWFL »

I am new to CNCs in general and therefore to Next Wave Shark. First time on the Forum. I've seen some posts about tramming HD models, but not SD models. I'm thinking this might be a tramming issue. I purchased a Shark SD 110. I've read enough to know I need a good spoil board. I chose MDF. I decided I would put a smaller piece of MDF on top and practice surfacing it before I surfaced the spoil board. Set up a program in VCarve. Used Raster. I am using a Whiteside 6210 CNC Spoilboard Surfacing Router Bit, 1/4" Shank, 1 inch diameter, depth .03; stepover .5; spindle speed 12000; feed rate 80 ipm; plunge rate 10 ipm; Router is a new 1.25 HP Bosch.

Entire area was surfaced BUT there are really small ridges one inch apart on the entire "surfaced" board. How can I fix this? If it is a tramming issue, how can it be trimmed on the SD110.

Thanks in advance.

CNCNWFL

Re: SD110 Spoil Board and Tramming

Post by CNCNWFL »

Sorry, that would be "trammed".

Max

Post by Max »

Hello SD110, I too am new to the CNC world. I saw this video that I think will help you. Go to you tube and watch the video "CNC Router Spoil board Surfacing Bit FEEDS and SPEEDS - Garrett Fromme". He will give you a good idea on how to resurface your spoil board but also how to make it work in the software. He also uses VCarve Pro and Desktop software which is what SD110 comes with. I believe your step over needs to be adjusted to about .02. Think of it like mowing a lawn, you don't want to step over too far or you will miss some grass on the next row right? Therefore, I would try to tighten up the overlap on the cut, and not adjust anything else. But again, watch the video first for I could be wrong. I too have just bought a SD110 and I find myself wondering what spoil board design would be best and how to secure it to the CNC t track floor yet be able to move clamps around for different size projects. Your suggestions are welcome. I hope this helps and hope to hear your suggestions.
Max :D

Bob

Post by Bob »

I trammed my router with a .25 diameter rod. about 8" long. I bent about 1" 90 degrees up, and the other end 90 degrees down. Unplug the router, Mount one end of the rod in the router lower the router so the other end is near the table, . By hand rotate the router 1/2 turn and compare the gap between the rod and table. Use this as a guide when shimming the router so that the gap is the same along the x and y axis. This should eliminate ridges .
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

CNCNWFL

Post by CNCNWFL »

Bob, thanks for the info/idea. I understand what you are saying. I cannot figure out a way to make any adjustments to the SD110 router carriage. I've asked Shark Support.

CNCNWFL

Post by CNCNWFL »

Max wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:59 pm
Hello SD110, I too am new to the CNC world. I saw this video that I think will help you. Go to you tube and watch the video "CNC Router Spoil board Surfacing Bit FEEDS and SPEEDS - Garrett Fromme". He will give you a good idea on how to resurface your spoil board but also how to make it work in the software. He also uses VCarve Pro and Desktop software which is what SD110 comes with. I believe your step over needs to be adjusted to about .02. Think of it like mowing a lawn, you don't want to step over too far or you will miss some grass on the next row right? Therefore, I would try to tighten up the overlap on the cut, and not adjust anything else. But again, watch the video first for I could be wrong. I too have just bought a SD110 and I find myself wondering what spoil board design would be best and how to secure it to the CNC t track floor yet be able to move clamps around for different size projects. Your suggestions are welcome. I hope this helps and hope to hear your suggestions.
Max, thanks for responding. I viewed the video and got some info from it, but not what I was really looking for. I cannot figure out how to make adjustments to the SD 110 router carriage. I've asked Shark support. To your comments about changing the stopover, I'll try that, but 0.02 seems like a really small stopover. To your comments about spoil board design and securing to the SD 110 bed. I found a YouTube video by Ralph Bagnall, May 7, 2014. This link should work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyt8zOJUQJ4

I adapted that because of the size of the bed of the SD 110. But the dado cut followed by the t-slot handheld router was slick.

I think I have added two pictures. Note that to make the trial spoilboard (which prompted my original question) I used turner's double sided tape to adhere the workpiece to the spoilboard.
Attachments
IMG_6787.jpeg
IMG_6788.jpeg

Bob

Post by Bob »

Just an observation: You need to replace that router clamp! That could also eliminate the ridges. Currently, there's not much securing the router vertically.
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

Max

Post by Max »

OMG, Thumbs up to you!!! That spoiler Board is exactly what I am looking to do. Since you've already done it, would you have a problem sharing any CNC plans or other plans you have for it. About the nylon hardware sizes and where you got them. I went to Home Depot yesterday and they have no nylon fasteners or inserts or blots or anything. I take it the hardware is 1/4" x 20 (3/4" in length)? Anyways, anything you can help with would be appreciated since I'm brand new to this CNC Hobby I chose. Appreciate it! Thanks in advance for sharing. Great Job :D :!: :!:
Max :D

CNCNWFL

Post by CNCNWFL »

Max wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:08 pm
OMG, Thumbs up to you!!! That spoiler Board is exactly what I am looking to do. Since you've already done it, would you have a problem sharing any CNC plans or other plans you have for it. About the nylon hardware sizes and where you got them. I went to Home Depot yesterday and they have no nylon fasteners or inserts or blots or anything. I take it the hardware is 1/4" x 20 (3/4" in length)? Anyways, anything you can help with would be appreciated since I'm brand new to this CNC Hobby I chose. Appreciate it! Thanks in advance for sharing. Great Job :D :!: :!:
Max,

I did not make "plans" for the spoiler board but here is what I did and what I would do differently.

I had a 11 ¼" wide piece of ¾" MDF from another project. I figured for a spoil board, 11 ¼" was close enough. If you have a full 12" wide piece I'd use it. The spoil board (SB) covers the entire Shark metal table. I think the post on the forum told how I cut the t-slots. ⅜" dadoes followed by a hand held router with a t-slot bit. Because of the size of the table, I only put the 4 tracks in.

For the screws in the corners, I measured where the Shark table t-slots were and marked on the SB. I hand drilled the corner holes for the nylon ¼" hex bolt to go through. Then I drill pressed a ¾" forstner bit hole about ½" deep. If I were to do it over, I would mark as I did but I would drill press the ¾" forstner bit FIRST. Then using the drill press, I would line up the standard drill bit with the dimple made by the forstner bit and drill the standard bit hole for the hex bolt to go through. (I've been using a hand drill for a long time, but for the hole to line up just right with the Shark bed t-slot, the drill press is more accurate. One of my holes was angled and it took some adjustments.)

It took some looking for the Nylon bolt, washer and nut. I did not want to buy 6 million of them from Amazon. I like to see, hold and feel so I know what the item is. Anyway, I found them at ACE Hardware. The great thing about our local ACE hardwares is buying in single units.

Nylon fasteners
4 each ¼ X 20 Hex bolts ⅞" long. (¾" would probably work but I was sure ⅞" would)
4 each ¼" washers
4 each ¼" X 20 nuts.

If I missed something let me know.

CNCNWFL

Post by CNCNWFL »

Bob wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:13 pm
Just an observation: You need to replace that router clamp! That could also eliminate the ridges. Currently, there's not much securing the router vertically.
Bob
Bob, I agree about the router clamp. It split when I first mounted the router and has gotten worse with dismounting and mounting while I've tried to shim. I had already decided to order a new one. Thanks.