New HD510 - Z Carriage Not Square to Bed

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Uncle_Buck

New HD510 - Z Carriage Not Square to Bed

Post by Uncle_Buck »

I'm a cnc routing virgin. Set up my new HD510 yesterday. Haven't made my first cut yet, because the eCool pump is not working properly. (I contacted support for that issue.)

In the meantime, I checked the spindle alignment, and found that it's way off square. Looking at the front of the machine, the spindle is -.55 degrees off on the Y axis. (counter clockwise) I've seen videos showing how the spindle can be adjusted by loosening the 8 allen bolts behind the spindle mount. BUT... it's the entire Z carriage that appears to be -.55° off square. So, even if I square the spindle itself, the Z axis movement would not be perpendicular to the bed. I've looked closely at the carriage assembly, but cannot determine how that can be adjusted. Please advise. Thanks!

Rando

Re: New HD510 - Z Carriage Not Square to Bed

Post by Rando »

Uncle Buck:

It's a little difficult to understand what you mean. In the diagram below, which misalignment do you mean? A or B?
510Misalignment.jpg
A is a misalignment in the XY plane. That is, as the spindle moves along the X axis, it's Y position relative to the bed changes.
B is a misalignment in the XZ plane. That is, as the spindle moves along the X axis, it's Z position relative to the bed changes.

A misalignment in the YZ would mean that the gantry's travel along the length of the bed (parallel to the T-slots) would result in the z-axis being higher at one end and lower at the other.

These all presume that the bed is flat from end-to-end (Y axis) and across (X axis).

Knowing exactly what kind of misalignment we're trying to address will be helpful in describing a solution.

Rando
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

Jim G.

Post by Jim G. »

I just received my HD5 gantry upgrade for my HD4 and I have the same issue. The spindle cartridge is so out of square, it’s visible to the naked eye. Looks like I’ll be on the phone tomorrow with Nextwave. Thankfully they have great customer service.
Attachments
9D4100C0-4C41-4278-B573-5226792942C2.jpeg

Rando

Post by Rando »

Jim G. wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:44 pm
I just received my HD5 gantry upgrade for my HD4 and I have the same issue. The spindle cartridge is so out of square, it’s visible to the naked eye. Looks like I’ll be on the phone tomorrow with Nextwave. Thankfully they have great customer service.
My understanding is that you're going to have to gain access to the bolts that hold the z-axis carriage backplate to the linear bearings that slide on the x-axis rails (attached to the gantry backplate).
This apparently requires some disassembly to get to them :evil: and then reassemble the carriage system keeping everything properly aligned. I do not envy you this situation. :shock:

Such fun! Wish I could offer you one of these that I made for the HD2/3 series :ugeek: No flex here, and independently trammable without disassembly. :twisted:
unit ready for shipping. The gray bits are foam to keep the z-axis from sliding
unit ready for shipping. The gray bits are foam to keep the z-axis from sliding
attached to my HD2+
attached to my HD2+
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)