New to CNC--Program Question

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

mrcolemangaming

New to CNC--Program Question

Post by mrcolemangaming »

Hi everyone,

I was inspired by a friend of mine to give this hobby a shot. I recently ordered the smaller SD100 machine. I have been watching tutorials everyday on VCARVE and it is similar to programs that I have used in the past.

I just received my machine today and the manuals focus heavily on the program Ready2Control. My biggest issue with using this program is I do not have a laptop that I can set up next to the CNC machine. I only have a desktop which is on the other side of my house from where I will be using the machine. My plan prior to ordering my CNC machine, was to use VCARVE on my desktop, save the files to a thumbdrive and upload the thumbdrive files to the screen pendant and run it from there.

Is this possible or do I have to use Ready2Control?

Thank you in advance for my beginner question.

Cheers!

Kayvon

Re: New to CNC--Program Question

Post by Kayvon »

Here's the sales page for the SD100
https://www.nextwavecnc.com/shop/NEW-SH ... p198998896

Reading the features on that page
Ready2Control basic software
Requires a PC Computer with a USB port (not included)
Requires a Bosch, DeWalt, Porter-Cable, or similar style Palm Router (sold separately)
You'll need to provide both a PC and a palm router. I ended up getting a cheap laptop that barely works. It's perfect for this, but probably awful for anything else. Check out Craigslist or purchase an old one from a school, especially if you know a student, and you can probably find one for around $50.

Rando

Re: New to CNC--Program Question

Post by Rando »

There appears to be an option to purchase the pendant. As of 29Sept, the NWA web site says they'll give you a free pendant with the order, for an effective $250 discount. I see that when I click the link Kayvon provided. So, balance the cost of the new computer/laptop against that, as the pendant might be an option to let you continue with the usage model you had envisioned.
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)