Looking for some help...concave dish

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

RobieMo

Looking for some help...concave dish

Post by RobieMo »

Can someone please help me get started on a project for my son? I am trying to make him a game board for his favorite game in the whole wide world (he is 7 years old). Basically it is a round concave dish shaped board. I have seen the stuff that came with the 3D, but none of it is just a concave circle.

I am REALLY, REALLY new to the CNC world. I just recently purchased my Shark and have only made a few signs successfully. Nothing from 3D yet. If someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Thanks. Stay Safe.

Rob

JerryBurks

Re: Looking for some help...concave dish

Post by JerryBurks »

You need a 3D CAD program to design the model of your dish and import into Cut3D (you may be able to do that in Aspire directly but I don't have that, so I am not sure).

If it is just a simple dish, PM the dimensions (diameter, dish radius, wall thickness, maybe a foot to stand on?) and I can probably do that for you. If you have only Vcarve that is not going to cut it (AFAIK).

dr_when

Post by dr_when »

HI,

Actually you can cut a dish shape with only Vcarve. With Aspire it's easier. Just draw a tight spiral using Corel Draw or free Inkscape or any other cad/drawing program and import the spiral to Vcarve. Once in, you select a "Flute toolpath" for the spiral shape. Be sure to set the start of the spiral vector to what you need. Set the start and stop depth of the flute toolpath to the depth of the dish. Depending on the tool used to cut you may need a tighter spiral or have to adjust your tool stepover to get a smooth dish. Too bad Vectric never gave us a "spiral" vector drawing tool!!!

JerryBurks

Post by JerryBurks »

That is an interesting and sneaky way to do this :) I never tried the flute paths option.
Will it actually carve a spherical dish or more like a concave cone?

RobieMo

Post by RobieMo »

Thanks for the feedback. This is why I love this forum. I think I have a good ideal of where to go next for this project. If I get stuck I just might take you up on your offer JB.

Thanks again. Rob