Help for VCarve Engraving on a Convex Surface

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

NewAgent45

Help for VCarve Engraving on a Convex Surface

Post by NewAgent45 »

Reference VCarve Pro Desktop v8.5 / CNC Shark HD2.

I’m attempting to VCarve Engrave text on a drumstick. I have limited experience with the 3D Model Tools. So far, I was able to import a circular component and adjust the properties to approximate dimensions of the actual drumstick as depicted in my first screen capture. The second and third picture is just to give you and idea of what I’m trying to do. How can I add the text to the convex model component?
3D Component 1.jpg
Approximation of the text component.jpg
Preview of tool path on flat surface.jpg
I’m planning to spray lacquer on the drumsticks to seal them. Then I plan to engrave them and fill the text with liquid inlay and sand the excess away after curing.
Also, I’m using a pair of V-blocks to clamp the drumstick to the table of the machine.
Thanks in advance for your advice.

……. Rod

Bob

Re: Help for VCarve Engraving on a Convex Surface

Post by Bob »

Rod,
I would use a circular 3D tab, from the Vectric clip art folder. Change the width and height to match a drumstick. Use the "project toolpath onto a 3D model" to engrave on this project.
To position the drumstick for engraving: clamp long block of wood to the table and engrave a groove into the block. (Reverse the model you developed when sizing to the drumstick.) Important...don't move this piece of wood. Clamp the drumstick into the slot, and run your engraving toolpath. Try air cuts first. Try it on a dowel of the proper size first.
Don't use letters that wrap too far around the stick, since you will not be rotating the stick while engraving.
Clear as mud?
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

NewAgent45

Post by NewAgent45 »

Bob:
If I'm not mistaken we have chatted on the forum here before.

I want you to know that a couple guys on the Vectric forum sent me a simple quick solution. Since I already imported the Circular model to the project and resized it to the Drumstick dimensions. I then opened the Toolpath tab and selected the existing VCarve Engrave tool path and edited it by checking the box for "Project toolpath into 3D model". See the attached picture for the setting.
Project toolpath on 3D Model.jpg
The second picture shows the toolpath on the 3D Model
Tool Path Selected.jpg
Of course the preview doesn't show the model. But you can see the text appears to be cut deeper at the top and bottom.
Preview Toolpath.jpg
Thanks for replying to my post and have a great weekend.

....... Rod

Bob

Post by Bob »

Rod,
It's always good to hear from you.

The biggest challenge for this project is registering the drumstick properly for engraving.

There's a good description somewhere here on the forum. I'll go check.

Bob
"Focus"

Bob

Post by Bob »

Found it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Jjd4Yy ... e=youtu.be

Ralph gives a good description of how to re-register a project accurately. It should work for your drumsticks.
Bob
"Focus"

NewAgent45

Post by NewAgent45 »

Here is the results I’m getting making personalized Drumsticks.

With V-Carve Pro Desktop v8.5 I imported a simple Circular Model and resized it to the Drumstick diameter. Then I created the text, converted it to curves and cleaned it up for engraving with the node edit tool. Then created two VCarve Engraving tool paths one for each size text. I saved the 2 toolpaths to a single *.tap file selecting the CNC Shark-USB ACRS post processor.

I mounted each drumstick on my machine table using two V-blocks and ran the project file. After that I sanded each stick to clean-up the edge of the carved text. I then sprayed the sticks with 3 light coats of Minwax Clear Satin Spray Lacquer. After several hours I painted the text with undiluted Acrylic paint and wiped off most of the excess. Letting this dry overnight I lightly sanded any additional excess paint starting with 400 grit and ending with 1000. Finally, applying a couple coats of Lacquer.

Toolpath(s):
Toolpath Specs 1.jpg
Tool Specs.:
Tool Specifications.jpg
Results:
JR Drumsticks 2s.jpg
Have a great day!
..... Rod

Bob

Post by Bob »

Hey Rod,
Thanks for the update and description of your process.
They turned out slick!
Bob
"Focus"

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

Those look terrific! Great job. The blue really pops, too.