Z Gantry Position - Learned a New One

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Z Gantry Position - Learned a New One

Post by jeb2cav »

I thought I'd share a new lesson learned - at least for me.

I was running a quick v-cut for some lettering on a sign. The letters were nowhere near what I saw in the preview, so I reran the toolpath in VCarve and saved off a new tap file, and ran it again. No change. I don't cut a lot of letters, and the bit I prefer to use has a relatively short shank. I was able to set the 0,0,0, and I knew I was on the far side of the z travel extent, but didn't think to check to see just how much travel was available after setting z0.

So, to give you a sense of how shallow the cuts were -
Shallow Cut
Shallow Cut
After the second attempt at running the project, I decided to look a little harder at the hardware, and not the software. I first performed a move to 0,0,0 - the bit was about 0.3 above the z0 I had set at the start of the project. I didn't check that the first time it "failed". So, usually when it doesn't return to 0,0,0 after the job, something happened - ran into a clamp, feed rate too aggressive, etc.

Now a z obstruction would be new for me. I have done a few bonehead things that had me scratching my head - like the time I left the hand broom resting on the gantry rails - and the x axis travel was blocked. That only took me 2 wasted pieces of wood to figure out...

So, I set the z0 again, then lowered the z slowly until it ran to the end of the travel. There was about 1/8" of travel "left". Of course, looking at the z gantry after setting z0, I might've thought to check this before running the job...
Gantry at z0
Gantry at z0
Fortunately, I was able to raise the piece and maintain the x,y 0 location, and cut again, so no wood lost. And, after raising the piece and resetting the z0 - it now had enough z travel capacity to cut as shown in the preview.
Depth of Cut as Expected
Depth of Cut as Expected
Not something many will run into, but maybe this will save someone a few headaches.