4th Axis usefulness?

Everything 4th Axis

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

EdThorne

Re: 4th Axis usefulness?

Post by EdThorne »

Thank you Rod. The width is set by the diameter of the gear. I believe that I read that you created a special rack and pinion set. I'm starting with that. I also want to keep the dust away from them. Did you find a solution to the dust?
Ed

NewAgent45

Post by NewAgent45 »

Ed,

I haven't had problems with the chips/dust and have been running conditions where the chips are small. I do see your concern. The Flange on the gear is sized to ride on the spoilboard and give the gear slight clearance this flange is on the inside of the two racks and shields the rack. The outer circle in the attached drawing is the flange or wheel part of my gear The little bit of gear clearance probably helps. I also use a blast of air once in a while. I would say the easiest way would be to use a couple air nozzles and solenoid valves to automate puffs of air. I always have my vacuum system handy and have used it too. I imagine you could use a couple smaller vacuum hoses with holders on the accessory mounting arms too.

The HDPE material is pretty tough material. I used 3/4 HDPE so my gear is 3/8 and the flange/wheel part is 3/8.
Detail Gear Drawing.jpg
The small holes at various radiuses on the gear are for attaching your material to the gear. In the finish gear these holes are counter sunk and I use 1 1/4 brass flathead screws. I also drill a 1/4" center hole in the material for the steel shaft stubs to engage. The screws handle mostly the rotational torque.

...... Rod

EdThorne

Post by EdThorne »

Hi Rod,
I'm hoping that your diagram will mean more to me after I read FitItMike's instructions. I've been busy doing everything else this weekend. The diagram concentrates on the gear as does Mike's document. I did notice a link to calculating rack dimensions and I'll take a look at that, too. Do you mind providing your details on your rack? This will make sure that my calculations make sense once I have time to do them.

Thank you,
Ed