Convert a STL File to Machine Using my 4th Axis

Everything 4th Axis

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

jhwatts

Convert a STL File to Machine Using my 4th Axis

Post by jhwatts »

My wife wants me to make her a set of wooden crochet hooks. I have found a 3D printer .STL file that I can print a plastic crochet hook but she is wanting some wooden ones. My question is; is there some kind of software application that can just convert my .STL file into a .tap(G-Code) file that will allow me to machine the object using my HD500 with the larger 4th axis. I also have the VCarve desktop Version 11. Any help would be appreciated.

Bob

Re: Convert a STL File to Machine Using my 4th Axis

Post by Bob »

I would use the stl file and do the job as a two sided carve. If you check the Vectric tutorials, you will find something about 3 hole asymmetric registration.
file:///C:/Users/Public/Documents/Vectric%20Files/Tutorial%20Files/VCarve%20Pro%20V11.0/Index.html?category=two-sided-machining&video=introduction-to-two-sided-machining
Unless you really want to use that 4th axis...
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

NathanAu

Post by NathanAu »

Seems like overkill using a CNC for this. Seems like it would not take long to get some dowels and carve them by hand. Is there something unique about the crochet hooks that makes you want to use the CNC? I would think that regardless, you have may have to hand carve the hook onto it. I would be interested to see the STL file you are going to use.

Vcarve has the ability to design for the rotary 4th axis. When you start a new project, you select "rotary" as the job type. The problem is that you have to design it in 2 dimensions as if the surface of the cylinder is unwrapped and laid out flat. Designing that in Vcarve might be a little challenging unless it is simple and I am not aware of way to use a 3D file to do that. I am sure that you can find a tutorial on the Vectric website for a rotary job type. The other approach is the 2 sided machining approach mentioned above by importing a 3D design.

Rando

Post by Rando »

Yeah, 'cause you can't get them anywhere....

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=wooden+crochet+hooks
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

NathanAu

Post by NathanAu »

That would take about 5 minutes with a sharp knife to whittle from a hardwood dowel. Could even shape all but the hook on a belt sander.