Railway sleeper

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

zac

Railway sleeper

Post by zac »

Front face. " dog spike" inserted in top edge
Front face. " dog spike" inserted in top edge
Back side
Back side
IMG_0935.JPG
Latest project
Railway sleeper docked to length, sliced in half, one face surfaced, one left natural, "dog spike" inserted for hanging on wall.
Wayne

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: Railway sleeper

Post by jeb2cav »

That's pretty slick Wayne. What is your method for getting the black into the carving and what materials are you using?

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

That is very nice and rustic. I love it! Where did you get the railway sleeper timber? Did you plane the finished surface or do a planing cut on the Shark?

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

Wolffie1

Post by Wolffie1 »

Eagle55 wrote:That is very nice and rustic. I love it! Where did you get the railway sleeper timber?

Roger
Roger
He is in Australia :lol:
The railways are changing all the timber sleepers with concrete ones.
Cheers
Wolffie

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

Ha ha ha... guess that lets me out. I think the railway died years ago in the US. :(

Roger

zac

Post by zac »

Hi Joe
I surface and sand the face first, apply a few coats of clear spray,
do the engrave then brush on black water based paint and wipe off with a damp cloth.
Wayne.

zac

Post by zac »

Hi Roger,
Here in Australia we are able to purchased used railway sleepers from garden / landscape supply centers.
After the sleeper section was sliced in half I attached it to a sled and fed it through my thicknesser.
Only problem is this timber has a lot of grit embedded into it from years on a railway track, (not good for my tools.)
Wayne.

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

yes, Wayne, I would be a little uncomfortable planning grity wood too. Here in the states, the "cross-ties" as we call them here are treated with a creosote solution to keep them from rotting. Creosote is a carcinogen and not a good thing to work with much less get it airborne in saw dust, but also a somewhat tar like material which is also hard on tools.

I had a piece of 2" thick walnut that had just a bit of a twist in it that I couldn't get out. I clamped it in the Shard (anyway I could get it still) and did a surfacing tool path with a 1/2" endmill. When I flipped it over I had a perfectly flat surface to contact the table and clamp, then carved the top side. That wouldn't leave the rustic finish on the back side but a similar approach might work, although it is really slow and more difficult. The enmil is cheaper than dealing with a blade change on the planer. Great job the way you did it though.

Roger