Boxes

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Bob

Re: Boxes

Post by Bob »

I've started building and can't stop!
protractor.jpg
protractor 2.jpg
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

hdtheater

Post by hdtheater »

Did you do anything special to get the outline of the tool or did you take the time to measure them all?

-Eric
Thanks,

-Eric

Facebook.com/inspireddesignstx

Bob

Post by Bob »

Eric,
The easier ones were measured and drawn using VCarve. For the more complex shapes, I scanned the object, imported the scan into VCarve, drew the pattern over the scanned picture, then offset the outline by about 1/16" to allow for clearance.
Bob
"Focus"

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Bob - these are excellent. I have a small collection of old/antique tools (several of which I've figured out how to use), but the centerpiece of the collection is a "master's" tool chest. Reading and talking with folks over the years, and from what I've learned, a wood craftsman was often guaged or showed his skills by the quality and functionality of his tool chest. These boxes are certainly fit into this notion. Thanks for sharing.

Bob

Post by Bob »

Thank you Joe,
My collection of antique tools is smaller, but it's nice to use them and try to make a connection with the past. I don't know if I mentioned it before or not, but I recently was given a church pew that was over 100 years old and in very bad condition. I disassembled it for use in projects. When counting rings, it was fascinating to read the history of the tree as it grew for more than 100 years. It's difficult to determine an appropriate use for wood that's in the neighborhood of 200 years old. Recently, I used the praying hands pattern to make carvings from some of this wood and gave one of of them to the person who gave me the pew.
I can't even throw out the small scraps. I feel responsible for using them in a way that shows respect.
Bob
"Focus"

cdat

Post by cdat »

I luv getting old wood. Bad part is, it's hard to part with it. I got stuff stashed everywhere just waiting for the perfect project.
Let's revisit the whole "Hope I die before I get old" Thing.