Quilt Platter

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

spinningwood

Quilt Platter

Post by spinningwood »

I made this for my wife to donate to her quilt guild's charity auction. It was inspired by a Hunter's Star quilt she had done.

Ed McDonnell
Attachments
Quilted Platter - Hunter's Star
Quilted Platter - Hunter's Star

KimAdams

Re: Quilt Platter

Post by KimAdams »

Oh my gosh, Ed - I bet THAT was the hit of the auction! What a great idea, and it turned out fabulously!
Kim

spinningwood

Post by spinningwood »

Thanks Kim - They haven't had the auction yet. Hopefully it will be a hot item!

Ed

dbonds

Post by dbonds »

Ed, that plate is absolutely gorgeous! I'm a quilter and I know the guild should do great with it! I have tried to find a program (pattern) for a plate to carve on my Shark Pro. Can you tell me where I can get one. Don't know how to make a program myself.
Diane

spinningwood

Post by spinningwood »

Hi Diane - A program like Aspire would work great with the shark to allow you to quickly design a basic unadorned plate for carving. I don't know of anywhere you could buy a model. A basic plate is so easy to create with something like Aspire that I don't think any of the 3D model houses would bother putting something like that in their catalogs. But you could look. Vectorart3d.com has a lot of models. There are other places as well. Do a search on 3D CNC models.

If you can make a quilt and you already know how to design / cut signs, then with Aspire you could almost certainly design a toolpath to carve a quilt pattern into your carved plate. It's not as simple as "pushing a button", but it's not that much more complicated than designing / carving a sign.

Creating an inlay project like I've shown here is a whole different ballgame and requires a lot more effort and experience. Something to work up to.

Ed