Rifle Stock Inlay Project

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

NewAgent45

Rifle Stock Inlay Project

Post by NewAgent45 »

For quite some time I have wanted to try doing inlays on a Rifle Stock. I have some experience with custom rifle stocks before. I also have a used stock for my first try.

I few years ago I built a Custom F-Class Rifle. For the build I bought a beat-up rifle for the action for the build. The used Stock was set aside. I built a custom thumbhole bench-rest stock for the F-Class, I also have a nice Remington Model 700BDL in 30-06 that this used stock will fit. You may notice in the pictures that it is a left-hand bolt action rifle.

The Maple inlays I cut are shown in the pictures. The 3D Bear inlay is a result of merging a 3D dome with a 3D dished Bear model. I’m planning to cut the inlay pocket in 2 or 3 steps to achieve the optimum fit and minimize sanding to blend the dome into the buttstock profile. The Bear inlay will be positioned on the left-side of stock and not on the cheek pad.
Rifle Fixture  2.jpg
Rifle Fixture 1.jpg
I designed and built a simple fixture from some waste materials for mounting the rifle stock. The spacer block under the forearm can be shimmed and or spacers placed under the butt clamp to level the stock on the table. The T-Slots allow for parallel alignment of the stock with the y axis. I’m waiting on some longer T-Bolts for the butt clamp to complete the job.

I have seen some examples of work like this done on specialized gun stock dedicated machines. I would be interested in any similar projects like this done on the Shark.

I hope this project looks "loaded for Bear" when completed.

Have a great day!

.... Rod