I cut a record or 2 LOL

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

TAW

I cut a record or 2 LOL

Post by TAW »

Had a local guy asking if someone could laser cut some records? After contacting him to see what he was trying to do. I said I could try CARVING them on the shark. He gave 50 records and said if I couldn't do it just keep the records or throw them out..... I only ruined 2 of them and that was because they were sticking to the sacrificial bed.... after putting a sheet of paper under the records it worked great. I even have to make a 2nd set for him now after he saw pic.
Attachments
MMIA IMG_20201026_164732977.jpg

John675w

Re: I cut a record or 2 LOL

Post by John675w »

Nice. I was thinking of carving designs into records. Did you use an endmill to carve them? Was the sticking records due to cutter heat buildup melting vinyl to the table?

TAW

Post by TAW »

The sticking was because of the hot vinyl being forced below the record- I was using a down cut 1/8'' end mill. I think if i was using regular, up cut bit it would of been fine..... I was forcing the fresh cut hot vinyl under record and into the slight groove of cut tool path. the paper I added under it allowed me to pull it up mostly in big junks. I used 3 hot glued bumps at 9-12-3 o'clock to set records up against and the had a scrap pc screwed to the bottom-6 o'clock and used a scrap 1 x 1 board wedged a t the bottom 1/2 of record. this held it fine I just used my hand to hold record down when cut started and held the cut out letter from being flung once cut loose. I also cut at 25% speed for tool path and adjusted the router speed so as not melt on the radius cut vs straight cut. Hope this helps.

jzarzaca

Post by jzarzaca »

Did you use a regular spiral or a plastic specific O flute?

TAW

Post by TAW »

I used a regular spiral bit but it was a down cut (vinyl was pushed into bottom of cut) so a reg spiral bit -up cut would be best.