Upgraded Static Mitigation Kits from ThomR.com

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Rando

Upgraded Static Mitigation Kits from ThomR.com

Post by Rando »

Yes, after six years of producing these, there's a major change due to the features added by NWA on their 5x0 series. There is now a "Run / Probe" switch, since some had mentioned the z-axis probe didn't always properly find the height with the kit installed. In the Probe switch position, the two halves of the kit are disconnected from each other, and from the controller box. The Run position connects them and allows the static to dissipate without leading to built-up charge that can damage the controller or lead it to move improperly.

Installing this kit on your shark will alleviate static charge buildup between the spindle and the bed. Some, but by no means everyone, have encounter random movements and ruined carves, both short and long ones, even fried controller boxes, with no apparent cause. No bit slipping, no lost steps hitting the upper-end of Z, no malformed GCode, and worst, the errors aren't entirely reproducible. But, many of those same people, after installing this kit, no longer get a static discharge shock when they touch the machine, and the toolpaths start working correctly. I know that on my machine, it did some really weird, non-programmed movements, until I fixed the static. And, not a single purchaser of the kit has reported any erroneous cuts after installation.
20220913_171405_smaller.jpg
If you're interested in the kit, you can learn more about it at

http://thomr.com/2016/05/solve-static-i ... -machines/

As of the middle of September 2022, I just made up a batch of 8 units, but they get sold out pretty quickly. The take a day or so to make if they're not in stock. You can get your own by clicking the Buy Now button about 1/3 of the way down that web page.

Regards, and my apologies if this is considered spam.

Rando
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

Kayvon

Re: Upgraded Static Mitigation Kits from ThomR.com

Post by Kayvon »

Cool idea.

I don't have a spindle nor the static problem, but I always appreciate seeing new ideas like this.

Rando

Re: Upgraded Static Mitigation Kits from ThomR.com

Post by Rando »

Kayvon:

It's not a new idea at all; I've been making and selling these kits since 2016. NWA seems to refuse to acknowledge they have this problem. Many of my customers had multiple ruined jobs, and blown-out controller boxes, but zero problems after they installed the kit.

Rando
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)