V Carve of Paradise Box

How-to videos on the CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Kayvon

V Carve of Paradise Box

Post by Kayvon »

I made the Paradise Box out of maple as a Christmas gift for my mother. The top of the box measures about 9x12 after the profile cut. To get a piece that size, I glued two boards together beforehand.

This video shows just the V carve step, sped up for your viewing pleasure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DqwOHUxx1Y

The full Paradise Box plans are available for free from Vectric here:
http://www.vectric.com/cool-stuff/proje ... e-box.html

Additional pictures from my build are available here:
http://perryprojects.blogspot.com/2016/ ... y-box.html

IDBD

Re: V Carve of Paradise Box

Post by IDBD »

Hi,

What router bit are you using on this project?

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

It's a 60-degree V bit. The Shark came with a 90-degree V bit, but I went with a sharper one for this project to make the cut deeper and let the engraving stand out more.

IDBD

Post by IDBD »

ok, great!

I was wondering as I'm using the 90 degree bit the shark came with. The issue I'm having is when I have some shallow designs the bit doesn't go down far enough
and it doesn't cut that part of the design.
I set the bit down as far as just a piece of paper can go between the board and the tip of the bit and then zero out the axis and that when it will not cut some of the shallow design. I then set the bit touching the board and zero out the axis.. and it cuts all of it but it's really too deep.

any suggestions? what am I doing wrong?

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

You're doing it right. You could set it to cut deeper by starting it lower, but that would make the cuts bleed together more. Try using a bit with a more narrow angle. If you've seen the cribbage board I posted, I used both 90 and 60. Play around with the preview in VCarve to see how it changes the outcome.

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

The distance between the lines dictates how deep the v bit will carve.

How do I set the Cut Depth when v-carving?

The V-carved Toolpath is unique because there is no way to set the Cut Depth. The toolpath requires a closed vector shape and will move the v-bit as deep as required to machine to the two vectors on either side of the bit.

In general:

The wider the gap between the two vectors, the deeper the v-bit will cut.
The narrower the gap between the two vectors, the shallower the v-bit will cut.
The higher the included angle of the v-bit, the more 'pointed' it is and the deeper it will cut.
The lower the included angle of the v-bit, the 'flatter' it is and will cut shallower
Note: As long as you have the Material Thickness accurately set in the Material Setup, the program will warn you if the depth of the v-carving will be deeper than the material thickness.

Here is another article to look at http://support.vectric.com/aspire-quest ... or-shallow

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

IDBD

Post by IDBD »

Great Stuff TonyDude!

Thank you for sharing....

tonydude wrote:The distance between the lines dictates how deep the v bit will carve.

How do I set the Cut Depth when v-carving?

The V-carved Toolpath is unique because there is no way to set the Cut Depth. The toolpath requires a closed vector shape and will move the v-bit as deep as required to machine to the two vectors on either side of the bit.

In general:

The wider the gap between the two vectors, the deeper the v-bit will cut.
The narrower the gap between the two vectors, the shallower the v-bit will cut.
The higher the included angle of the v-bit, the more 'pointed' it is and the deeper it will cut.
The lower the included angle of the v-bit, the 'flatter' it is and will cut shallower
Note: As long as you have the Material Thickness accurately set in the Material Setup, the program will warn you if the depth of the v-carving will be deeper than the material thickness.

Here is another article to look at http://support.vectric.com/aspire-quest ... or-shallow

Tony

kenedy

Post by kenedy »

You have done great job and I appreciate that...well done.
Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science.