Image - Set up of Shark HD4 Extended

How-to videos on the CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

amerifax

Image - Set up of Shark HD4 Extended

Post by amerifax »

I have watched a couple of videos on YouTube and found them to be very little help. I have a Shark HD4 Extended. I'm looking for a video or images that better display the set up. One of my problems is what size bolt I need for the four missing bolts that are supposed to be preinstalled on the gantry. This would be what holds the router assembly to the gantry.

Bob

amerifax

Re: Image - Set up of Shark HD4 Extended

Post by amerifax »

I have done a bit of research and the best evaluation I can come up with is a 1 3/8" 1/4-20 Coarse bolt. That is when using the watercooled router that comes with the CNC Shark HD4 Extended.

I hope this helps anybody else I might have the same issue.

I also find the setup instructions lack a good understanding of what I have to do. Time permitting, I hope to upload instructions that might help others.

Bob

ReidCDe65

Post by ReidCDe65 »

@amerifax
Bob, I took advantage of WoodCraft's Black Friday sale and purchased the HD4 Extended with the Mail in rebate for the Laser and WCS. The machie came with everything I needed to set it up with a router motor. I used my 890 series PC router motor until I received the WCS and laser.
One thing I would like to point out is that if your shop is small like mine and you need to make your machine mobile please make sure the base supports the entire base of the machine. I found this out the hard way, I purchased a cart from Grainger which only supported at the very front and very rear. The first time I used the machine after mounting to the cart the tool cut into the bed [I was using a 1/4" spoil board]. Basically the 3/8" plastic bottom that support the gantry rails doesn't hold the weight of the gantry. Thankfully I was watching and holding the pendant when this happened so the damage was mimimal, trial and error I guess.
I added a piece of angle iron between the front and back suports on each side of the machine until I can build a permanent solution. Plan to make a cabinet with drawers and doors.
Reid

raut9967

Post by raut9967 »

Great information.Thanks for latest updates.Helpful :)

gwoodworks

Post by gwoodworks »

this is my set up in progress everything is done except for the set up of my 7 watt laser, needed an extension cable for the laser head because i'm running the cable through the two drag chains to the foot of the table, extension cable coming Monday
Attachments
20190226_183047.jpg
20190226_183038.jpg
20190226_183141.jpg

csmithwoodworking

Post by csmithwoodworking »

gwoodworks wrote:this is my set up in progress everything is done except for the set up of my 7 watt laser, needed an extension cable for the laser head because i'm running the cable through the two drag chains to the foot of the table, extension cable coming Monday
I like your setup. Did you rewire your X-axis or did the HD4's come with the wiring out of the top? I just got the HD5 EXT and the wiring for the X motor comes down the gantry and out the bottom. It makes the wiring track difficult to work with and the wire loom potentially catching on things.
I'll C-N-C ya later!