My Home location Keeps changing Shark 520 with V-Carve

How-to videos on the CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

BDCWood'nCrafts

My Home location Keeps changing Shark 520 with V-Carve

Post by BDCWood'nCrafts »

I have been trying to create a grid on my "SpoilBoard" I was 95% done when, for some reason my router cradle seemed to have hit the limit on the "X" axis.... then when it continued it was off by 1/2" . I re-homed the router and it was off on both the x and y axis.... this has happened a few times before.... 1st question is why is this happening... 2nd question is how to I reset the home spot manually? This has to be one of the most frustrating things I have come across with the CNC Machine.

Kayvon

Re: My Home location Keeps changing Shark 520 with V-Carve

Post by Kayvon »

I've had that happen, too. When the machine tries to go beyond its work envelope, it physically hits against the end and the controller believes the router has continued to move when, in reality, the machine was obviously stuck there. All subsequent moves are offset by that amount and your workpiece is ruined.

The primary solution is to ensure that your cut job fits within the available work envelope. To reset your home position, just manually jog to where you want that to be and reset the coordinate values to zero.

markjonesranger

Re: My Home location Keeps changing Shark 520 with V-Carve

Post by markjonesranger »

Yup. If you go past your machine limits you almost always have to rezero your machine. I use a lot of jigs and mark those jigs where zero is so it matters not where I put it on the table and quite often the center of the workpiece if the stock is square. this way I can always set zero from those no matter if Iam using my machine or someone elses.

I use 2 3/4" pieces of mdf. 1st one is bolted to the shark table with nylon bolt and nuts. 2nd is glued to that 1st piece with wood glue. Top is then milled for flatness. Then I put on top of that a quarter inch piece of plywood underlaymet 13.00 per sheet that I cut to pieces. It's nailed to the MDF with 18 guage soft nails and can be pryed up when it's really cut up. Soemtimes I can just turn it over and turn it and put the most cut up part at the opposite end where I rarely cut and continue to cut it to pieces. This method allows me to screw the jigs down and I use wooden plywood cams to hold the work pieces in place. Sometimes I will make 30 at a time and this jig system allows easy setup and change out of pieces.