Videos.....wow, not much help.

How-to videos on the CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

johnnypingpong

Videos.....wow, not much help.

Post by johnnypingpong »

Thinking of making my own.
Just a thought to Rockler. I think most of us could make these in one night with our 5 year olds holding the camera.

johnnypingpong

Re: Videos.....wow, not much help.

Post by johnnypingpong »

Just to clarify...the shark rocks. does what it says it does for sure.
The videos not so much.

johnnypingpong

Post by johnnypingpong »

Well,
talked with some others offline that kind of agree.
I'll see what I can do to create some better tutorials soon.

Stay tuned.

-John

Consultingwoodworker

Post by Consultingwoodworker »

Johnny,

I created the videos to be a step by step introduction to bring a new user through their first program.

What specifically do you dislike? What would you like to see done differently? What would you do differently?

I value your feedback and that of others.

Ralph

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

Actually I found the videos to be fairly nice. Yes, they are basic but having zero experience in the real world of CNC I needed something basic AND in small bites. I did skip doing the basic starter project just because I don't like to waste material for something I didn't need, but applied the video to my own starter project. Sure I would like to see more complex issues dealt with and more on advance features but for starting out I liked the more basic concepts to get me up to a speed I could crawl. Having them under my belt when my machine came in had me cutting within the first 24 hours.
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

sk8nmike

Post by sk8nmike »

Consultingwoodworker wrote:Johnny,

I created the videos to be a step by step introduction to bring a new user through their first program.

What specifically do you dislike? What would you like to see done differently? What would you do differently?

I value your feedback and that of others.

Ralph
The videos are OK, I would like to see on involving a bit change in the middle of a carving?

mdcavanaugh

Post by mdcavanaugh »

Yeah, what sk8mike said, need a video on returning to zero after a router bit change.

So I set zero for the roughing pass which is done with longer 1/4" endmill. Now I run the roughing pass and where I set zero has now been carved away. I change to a smaller ball end mill - how do I get back to zero?

rungemach

Post by rungemach »

When you set up the material size in Vecric, you can use "origin offset" to move the x and y zero point off of the material block and/or out of the carving area.

You can then zero the z outside of the carved area, or on a separate block, or on the base plane of the material rather than the top. However you want to set the overal job up.

Hope this helps

Bob

wolffie

Post by wolffie »

Thanks for the information Bob
I never knew what the "Origin Offset was supposed to do :oops:
Cheers
Wolffie
I am never going to die, I live in Paradise already

tmerrill

Post by tmerrill »

Origin Offset is intended to help with project setups on a machine that has an absolute X0, Y0 location and you want to machine a project somewhere else on the machine bed.

While it will work for this purpose, many may find it easier to use the Home Position Settings in the Material Setup form on the Toolpath tab. Simply set an X,Y position relative to the projects XYOrigin where you want to change bits and that is where the toolpath will take it after a toolpath finishes. Be sure to set your Clearance (Z1) high enough to avoid any clamps or other obstacles and this is the Z height the bit will transverse at.

Tim
Attachments
Home position for Bit Change.JPG