Control Question

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

afs2ovi

Control Question

Post by afs2ovi »

I've watched the video tutorials many times for some a few times for some and read the getting started PDF file. Love the machine and have cut several nice parts and signs. Today I really messed up by getting into a hurry, I usually run the G-code without the router running and off the part just to make sure nothing is going wrong, today I didn't and the X-Y co-ordinates were backwards from where I set the "0". Consequently before I could shut it off the router had knocked off a clamp and gouged the wood in the wrong spot - MY FAULT!!
My question - on the laptop I can run the X-Y-Z Jogs with the numerical keypad and the pg up -down etc. BUT a mouse to operate the E-STOP is a bit "Mickey Mouse" espically when you are in a quandry needing immediate shut down. (I also learned NOT to jog the machine with the mouse as it MAY stick) Is there another key for this shut off that I haven't found? If not it would be a good up grade as I have seen this shut-down talked about in other forums with different brand machines, though nothing mentioned about the Shark Pro.
Thanks
Allen
Don't cry unless you broke the machine, just toss it in the "Blue Box" and start over!!

Bob

Re: Control Question

Post by Bob »

I agree that using the mouse for an emergency stop is almost useless. However, it can be entertaining for others to watch as you fumble around in a panic trying to use this method. What I did was to get one of those router table switches with the big red stop paddle and plug my power strip into it. When in panic mode, I easily hit the stop switch. I usually hit it so hard that the paddle pops off, but the operation always stops immediately. Remember, even though the power has been shut down to the power strip, and the router and shark have stopped, the laptop is still running the program on battery power. Be sure to stop the program before turning the power back on for the rest of the system, or the movements will resume causing another need to hit the emergency stop.
By the way, when using the mouse to jog, keys are not sticking. If you have let the cursor drift from the on-screen control button while activated, the motion will continue until the cursor is moved back over the on-screen button. Same goes for the computer touch pad. The numeric keypad is currently the only reliable way to jog.

Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

afs2ovi

Post by afs2ovi »

Bob,
Thanks for the answer, I'll be moving my master switch closer to the computer for easy access. I thought I had read not to cut the power to the machine when the controller was running but that was when I was deciding what to buy. I do know to shut down the Code before turning it back on.
I found another problem this morning, I was getting unequal edges on all my signs etc, on the "Y" axis one would be wider than the other, Found the machine gantry has almost 1/8 inch play on the "Y" axis, it is not in the screw shaft to gantry but where the shaft goes into the motor end and the back frame. Going to call Rockler in a few to see what I can do to fix this one. The motor is tight and the shaft is not loose just the screw shaft to motor is loose.
thanks again
Allen

Just a note to upgrade - I called Rockler and spoke with Al in the tech department and he told me the set screw in the Y axis motor coupler had most likely come loose, I took the machine apart and this was the problem, tightened it and it works fine, Thanks Al and Rockler for the good service!!
Allen
Don't cry unless you broke the machine, just toss it in the "Blue Box" and start over!!

Bob

Post by Bob »

Glad to hear the solution worked . Al and Tim are good guys to work with. I waven't been able to stump them yet.
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

Tim Owens

Post by Tim Owens »

When tightening the setscrews on the couplers you need to use something that will keep the screw from loosening up.
We use gorilla glue (just a dab will do ya) on the threads will help keep it in place but make it possible to loosen up if you need to get it off in the future.
I do not recommend lock tight on this small of a screw since it becomes almost like a weld.

Tim

zac

Post by zac »

Several users have spoken about using the arrows etc. on the numeric keypad to control X Y Z . How do you set this up?
Zac.

afs2ovi

Post by afs2ovi »

zac wrote:Several users have spoken about using the arrows etc. on the numeric keypad to control X Y Z . How do you set this up?
Zac.
Zac,
Wnen you load the Shark Control Pad click the mouse on JOG, Turn OFF the number lock key pad key, (listed as NUM LOCK on most ) then you can use 8 and 2 for Y axis, 4 and 6 for x axis and 9 and 3 or page up-page down for z axis, the mouse or a switch as in Bobs answer for shut off, the mouse for JOG speed settings and setting 0 for starting
Allen

zac

Post by zac »

Thanks for that Alan,
Next question, is it possible to make the slow control even slower. Like when jogging Z down to work surface, to set Z zero.
Zac.

afs2ovi

Post by afs2ovi »

zac wrote:Thanks for that Alan,
Next question, is it possible to make the slow control even slower. Like when jogging Z down to work surface, to set Z zero.
Zac.
Not to my knowledge, slow is darn slow and I put a sheet of copy paper between the bit and work, run the bit down close then goto slow and with quick light taps and moving the paper I can get the zero position easily.
I believe changing the speed to slower would involve disassembling the post processor and thats way beyond me for sure. Might even have to get permission from New Wave I dont know.
Allen

Wilem the Fixer

Post by Wilem the Fixer »

What I have found is that the Z jog moves .5mm each click, so i go down close and use feeler gauges uder the tool and use the set button to put the values in. Also for setting up X & Y.
Glad to see another user here in OZ
Wilem the Fixer
Phil
www.wilemthefixer.com.au