Any thoughts on CNC Shark HD4

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

LizaS

Any thoughts on CNC Shark HD4

Post by LizaS »

I am interested in buying the CNC Shark HD4. On paper it looks like exactly what I want. Even though tools and even software comes easy to me... I am not a mechanic. So a little nervous about getting help if something comes up. Appreciate Input on what you think of this new model.

Kayvon

Re: Any thoughts on CNC Shark HD4

Post by Kayvon »

I have the plain CNC Shark, an earlier model. It's been very easy to use and is very easy to get up and running. I expect you'll have an even easier time with the HD4. You'll spend more time learning the software tools than worrying about mechanical CNC setup, which sounds like a good fit.

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

LizaS ,

Go to http://support.vectric.com/training-material and study the tutorials. Lot of info there.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I have been looking at this site for some time and this is my first post

I just ordered a HD4 that I should have in about a week, so I am eager to learn all I can about the software and the machine.

I know very little about the vetric software, but have been working on the trial software and watching all the tutorials I can find.

Looking forward to more info on the HD4

studio-n

Post by studio-n »

the sharks are pretty easy to use and maintain. However, it's a shame they came out with a new model and kept the same breakable POS plastic router clamp.
If anything needs changing that will be it. I'd head that problem off and just get a metal clamp from our friends at dixie billet. cheers!
"Out of my mind.....back in 5 minutes"
Rockler 60th Anniversary CNC Shark
w/digital probe, and 4th axis attachment.
ULS M300 Laser Engraver 50 Watt
Aspire and Corel Draw
NextEngine 2020i 3D scanner

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

Do you have any pictures of the Dixie Billet clamp you could post? I've read a lot about the clamps in several threads, but have yet to actually see how they turn out. Regardless, they've universally praised. I plan on going aluminum if/when my original Shark clamp goes out.

SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I have been attending the Shark classes at my local Rockler store. They just got a HD4 in and from what I can see is the router mount is thicker and looks larger than the HD3 they also have in the store. The class members also took a look at the new Shark and commented it looks much stronger.

I don't have my machine yet, but am looking forward to setting it up and get running.

I am sure I will have many questions for this forum.

TAW

Post by TAW »

pic of clamp from Dixie - this is for palm size- $52 plus shipping 6.80 or full size $62 plus shipping.
My top clamp finally broke but was at 11 month, so I got new one for free - under warranty- had my friend make me 2 new ones very similar to the one pictured - next time one breaks I will replace with the aluminum ones.
I also agree that why continue to put out this product with a KNOWN issue with the router clamping system????? Make the change to aluminum----probably insource them & carve on a shark....:-)
Attachments
Screenshot_2016-11-10-08-35-53.png

bill z

Post by bill z »

LizaS,

It really all depends on how you intent to use the HD4 or any CNC. If you are going to be starting a business where uptime is important because it will be working 16 hours a day to make it cost effective, then the heaver and stronger the better. If you are a hobbyist, then does the extra expense really matter?

I, like Kayvon, have an older Shark. I use it on weekends mostly. Have had it for almost 2 years now with few issues. What issues there have been, I have the time to fix.

I did need to buy the aluminum router clamp from Dixie Billet. It solved several problems for me. According to both NWA and SteveM, the router clamp may not be much of an issue on the HD4.

The CNC machine you choose is important but ends up being of little value if you don’t select the software that can do what you really want to do. NWA makes a machine that uses a special TAP file that not all CAD CAM software can create. It is important that you feel as comfortable with the software as the hardware.

My opinion is that for the first machine, the NWA Shark and V-Carve software is very hard to beat when you consider all of the tutorials available and this forum. Many of the Chinese CNC machines using the free software will not give you the 10th of a millimeter accuracy that the shark will.

Hoping some of this helps.

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

Thanks for the picture. I haven't had any problems with my existing clamp (except that I didn't have it secured tightly enough until a few months ago), but I'll plan on ordering an aluminum one if mine ever breaks. It looks very nice.

Bill, I didn't realize you'd had your machine about the same time I've had mine. With your depth of knowledge on the forum, I'd always assumed you've been doing this for years and years.