Lubricating the Shark

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

DickL

Lubricating the Shark

Post by DickL »

Hi
I have been using Dupont Teflon Multi-use dry, wax lubricant. I seem to have a buildup of wax on my lear screws. This seems to have happened since the weather has cooled. My basement is not heated and is now about 55 digrees. The result is the machine does not move as smoothly as it should. I have scrubbed the lear screws with a toothbrush and it is much better. I am also going to use a thin string that will fit into the leadscrew threads to hopefully restore the smooth operation that the machine should have. I am also going to look for a better lubricant, one without wax. Does anyone have a lubricant suggestion?

Tnx
DickL

Loudspeakerboy

Re: Lubricating the Shark

Post by Loudspeakerboy »

Does Triflow have wax in it?

saramos

Post by saramos »

A quick google search turned this up

http://www.dicronite.com/

Scott

sk8nmike

Post by sk8nmike »

I've been using Silcone Spray on just about all moving parts of my other CNC, don't see why it shouldn't work on the Shark

SawDust913

Post by SawDust913 »

I agree with the use of Silicone, It doesn't collect dust as it dries but has the lubricant needed.

nylou

Post by nylou »

Hows about useing graphite spray. It drys and dosn't collect dust![/color]

sk8nmike

Post by sk8nmike »

Graphite is a dust, fine particles of Carbon dust and is also abrasive. While the build up and wearing out of the parts it's on would take some time I believe that Silcone is still the better option.

Bob

Post by Bob »

Lots of big words in this article, but also some information:

Graphite and graphite powder are valued in industrial applications for its self-lubricating and dry lubricating properties. There is a common belief that graphite's lubricating properties are solely due to the loose interlamellar coupling between sheets in the structure.[12] However, it has been shown that in a vacuum environment (such as in technologies for use in space), graphite is a very poor lubricant. This observation led to the discovery that the lubrication is due to the presence of fluids between the layers, such as air and water, which are naturally adsorbed from the environment. This molecular property is unlike other layered, dry lubricants such as molybdenum disulfide. Recent studies suggest that an effect called superlubricity can also account for graphite's lubricating properties. The use of graphite is limited by its tendency to facilitate pitting corrosion in some stainless steel,[13][14] and to promote galvanic corrosion between dissimilar metals (due to its electrical conductivity). It is also corrosive to aluminium in the presence of moisture. For this reason, the US Air Force banned its use as a lubricant in aluminium aircraft,[15] and discouraged its use in aluminium-containing automatic weapons.[16] Even graphite pencil marks on aluminium parts may facilitate corrosion.[17] Another high-temperature lubricant, hexagonal boron nitride, has the same molecular structure as graphite. It is sometimes called white graphite, due to its similar properties.

Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

DickL

Post by DickL »

Hi
I cleaned the lead screws and will now use silicone.
Tnx for the replies.

DickL

sk8nmike

Post by sk8nmike »

FYI the Brand I use is Liquid Wrench. Drys fast and doesn't attract a lot of dust.