Y axis motor only moves in one direction

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

morrie

Y axis motor only moves in one direction

Post by morrie »

I am running my Shark Pro from my laptop which is set to 32 bits running Windows 7. The software installation seemed to go ok, but I could not get the firmware to update. Perhaps that it because I didn't have the machine connected at the time? I don't have an internet connection in the shed so I was doing it here at the desk.

Anyway, I connected the machine to the laptop and after some initial hesitation it loaded the drivers and all was looking good. I could jog all the motors and they moved in the appropriate directions which I marked on the table. I ran the small square test file and it seemed to do the right thing.

Then I ran the V-carve first demo, after checking it carefully. I had started with the router in the centre of the table, and had set the demo up accordingly. But when it started moving, the router jumped up about 2 inches and started carving in mid air. Then it ran the Y axis right up to the end of the table, so that I had to hit stop.

Now I find that jogging the y-axis allows it to move in only one direction. That is, y- and y+ move the router in the same direction.

I swapped over the x and y motor leads and then it ran the x-axis in only one direction. I checked the .tap file with a viewer and it is ok.

I am at a loss now as to what the cause could be. I am a little worried that the controller might be damaged, but I am hopeful that this is a software issue. Can anyone help?

rungemach

Re: Y axis motor only moves in one direction

Post by rungemach »

It sounds like you have verified that the motors are OK by changing the leads.

The motor driver board powers the motors and gets two signals from the controller board. one is to move a "step", the other is which direction to move in.
If the motor driver loses its direction signal, it will only step in one direction.
Since your "bad" axis will step, the question is where did it lose its direction signal.
I am not sure what driver board your system is using, but if you should have the NCpod as the controller board,
The step and direction signals are passed from the controller to the driver board through wired connections on plugs that may have come loose or lost contact.
The only thing you can do without test equipment is check the integrity of the wires connecting the boards together.
If the wires are firmly seated in their connectors, it may be a problem with one of the two boards.
Attached is the diagram with the pinouts for the ncpod, so you can see where the step and direction signals originate on the NCpod board and follow them through.
If it is a bad or dirty connection, this may get you going. otherwise it sounds like a factory issue.

Always have the power off when you check the wires...

Hope this helps..
Attachments
NCpod pinouts
NCpod pinouts

morrie

Post by morrie »

Thanks, the diagram was very helpful.

Looking at the 3 motor outputs, it was immediately apparent that the Y motor only had 2 wires, while the others had 3. The -5V wire was completely missing! We took an educated guess at the pinouts on the cable connector and added the missing wire. After that it worked normally.

I did take a picture of it, but now I find that there was no card in the camera. It makes me wonder if any other wires are missing. There are no wires on the Input, Main and Serial connectors. The model is Shark Pro, not Pro Plus.

morrie

Post by morrie »

The reason that the router jumped up and started carving in mid air was that I neglected to zero it after I had put in down on the surface of the wood.