z will not move just makes noise

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Chips

z will not move just makes noise

Post by Chips »

I need some advice. Just finished setting up my new Shark Pro Plus. Nice looking machine. Here is my issue. I am using Windows XP. The X and Z work fine. The Y will not move. All I get when jogging the Y is a grambling sound. I reloaded the drivers and updated MS.netframe work 3.5. Any suggests.

spinningwood

Re: z will not move just makes noise

Post by spinningwood »

Hi Chips - Your subject title says "Z" will not move. Your text in your post says "Y" will not move. Which one is it?

Make sure there are no packing materials left anywhere (tape, cardboard, whatever) that might be causing binding.

If you used anything to help in assembly (shims, blocks or whatever), make sure they aren't causing a problem.

Make sure that nothing you did in assembly might be causing binding (cord from router (for z problems), something between whatever you have the shark on and the bottom of the gantry (for Y problems) on both sides. Make sure you have enough slack in the cables to the motors so they don't bind.

Make sure all power cable connections are correct and totally secure.

If nothing obvious jumps out at you, give either Rockler or Nextwave a call.

Ed

Chips

Post by Chips »

Thanks Ed
I was a little confused. It's the y axes causing the problem. I checked for packing material and everything looks okay. But, I will recheck everythng again, before I call Rockler or Nextwave.

Chips

Re: y will not move just makes noise -- update

Post by Chips »

My problem was a bad Y port on the controller. That gives me peace mind I thought I was entering CNC Hell. Anyway, thanks to all who offered help and suggestions.

spinningwood

Post by spinningwood »

Hi Chips - Do you have to return the controller for service or was it something you could fix?

Ed

Chips

Post by Chips »

Hi Ed,

I don't think so. I have limited electronic skills. I did look inside the controller box for any obvious problems. To my untrained eye everything looked okay. Nextwave rep suggested I send it back for service. I hope the turn around is quick. I am getting anxious.

Chips