Altering X and Y orientation

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: Altering X and Y orientation

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Scootey7,

I disagree with sharkcutup about the danger and safety risk. I suspect some of us who have an extended bed have reversed the gantry installation on the table, and plugged the 'x' cable into the 'y' output (and the 'y' cable into the 'x' output) as for some us, this is what makes sense. And in fact, if that's how you use the machine day in and day out, it is the 'norm' for your use.

Speaking for myself, I find it much easier to think of with my X axis oriented along the 'long' side of the bed - which is also how I view the project in Aspire. I also know some folks who design the whole thing in that manner, and once done rotate it in Aspire, and generate the toolpaths as they have a different sense of the table axis orientation - and it works for them. I find that method has its own potential challenges - and again, for me, thinking of the 'long' side of the bed as X matches how my brain thinks of things (good, bad or indifferent).

I don't know that I'd fool with the gcode either. Given that if you want to configure your machine based on the gantry orientation, there really is no need to add this as an aspect of daily use - at least for me. Again, if that workflow works best for you - have at it.

What works best for you, in all aspects, including safety, is the solution I'd recommend you pursue.

Rut Row

Post by Rut Row »

Old thread, I know. But in case anyone else is trying to make this work with a new HD520, this does not work with the new Ready2Control software. Swapping the cables works as expected with the X running backwards. There's no option to reset that and the HD refuses to help. Says it can't be done.

Rando

Post by Rando »

Tell NWA to learn a little about their own systems! All you have to do is reverse the polarity of ONE of the stepper motor coils and it runs in reverse. Now, if you have homing sensors, they will be at the wrong end of the axis. Here's an article that talks more about it:

https://www.electrodragon.com/w/Stepper_wiring

I use an older model of Shark in which the control panel software allows you to change the steps/mm, and you can set that to a negative number, thus reversing the direction.
What's funny is that as I've now replaced the wimpy 280 oz-in (2Nm) motors with 560 oz-in (4Nm) hybrid stepper-servo motors and driver modules, I'm not running them at 10,000
steps per revolution, or 20,000 steps per inch. Yes, that's 1/20th a ten-thousandth ultimate resolution, or 50 micro-inches :evil: .

The steps/mm works out to be 787.401574803150. The excel spreadsheet is screen-captured below:
steppercalculations.png
In any event, "yes you can" ;-)

Regards,

Rando
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

Rut Row

Post by Rut Row »

Rando wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:02 am
Tell NWA to learn a little about their own systems! All you have to do is reverse the polarity of ONE of the stepper motor coils and it runs in reverse. Now, if you have homing sensors, they will be at the wrong end of the axis. Here's an article that talks more about it:

https://www.electrodragon.com/w/Stepper_wiring

I use an older model of Shark in which the control panel software allows you to change the steps/mm, and you can set that to a negative number, thus reversing the direction.
What's funny is that as I've now replaced the wimpy 280 oz-in (2Nm) motors with 560 oz-in (4Nm) hybrid stepper-servo motors and driver modules, I'm not running them at 10,000
steps per revolution, or 20,000 steps per inch. Yes, that's 1/20th a ten-thousandth ultimate resolution, or 50 micro-inches :evil: .

The steps/mm works out to be 787.401574803150. The excel spreadsheet is screen-captured below:

steppercalculations.png

In any event, "yes you can" ;-)

Regards,

Rando
When the 2-year warranty runs out, I'll try this. Easiest answer is for NW to do the right thing and add the option to swap the axis.

Rando

Post by Rando »

LOL...warranty. :roll:

You COULD always go to Amazon, and buy one male and one female DB-9 connectors and make an adapter with some 18Ga wire... :ugeek:

Just sayin'...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P7738KY

As for what's "easiest" for NWA...you're not in Marketing, are you? Buyer lock-in is exactly why they REMOVED the feature in their more-recent models.

Even the "updated" version of their old v2.1 control panel software still has that ability. Like I said, I just completely changed the motors and drivers!
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

Rut Row

Post by Rut Row »

Rando wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:54 am
LOL...warranty. :roll:

You COULD always go to Amazon, and buy one male and one female DB-9 connectors and make an adapter with some 18Ga wire... :ugeek:

Just sayin'...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P7738KY

As for what's "easiest" for NWA...you're not in Marketing, are you? Buyer lock-in is exactly why they REMOVED the feature in their more-recent models.

Even the "updated" version of their old v2.1 control panel software still has that ability. Like I said, I just completely changed the motors and drivers!
How did they lock us in by eliminating the way to reverse the axis? If anything, they created a reason not to buy their machines.

You wouldn't happen to have the wiring change needed to make an adapter would you? Better yet, why not add an adapter to your offerings?